Digestion Questions & Aneurysm Query

Old November 20th 03, 07:28 AM
COLIERRANND2

Default Digestion Questions & Aneurysm Query

Hi all,

I was wondering, how long does food stay in a dog's stomach? Particularly a big
dog like a rotty?

I was also wondering if anyone knew of a good site that concerned canine
aneurysm? Could antibiotics play any negative role in it?

The reason for this(and maybe you can help), I know someone who recently lost a
dog to an aneurysm. The dog had blood in it's stomach at the autopsy.

This has raised some questions we haven't been able to figure out and I haven't
found any good sources online as of yet.

Any help would be appreciated and feel free to email me at

Thanks,
Col
Col

Read My Mind!
www.colisgod-like.blogspot.com

Old November 20th 03, 05:18 PM
Jeremy Lowe

I read that a Swedish study had raw food passing in 4 1/2 hours, canned in
about 9 hours and dry food about 16 hours although I have not seen the
actual study.

As for the aneurysm, where was it? If it was esophageal then the dog could
very well have blood in it's stomach. If the aneurysm was GI related or
stomach related then again it could have left blood in the stomach.

The real question is not why there is blood in the stomach, but where was
the tear, and was it diagnosable. Some aneurysms are sudden and fatal and
treatment must be made in minutes, which often doesn't happen with pets
since they can't tell us what is wrong.

Feel free to email me at