inside dogs put outside???

Old November 20th 03, 06:30 PM
jstrinity7

Default inside dogs put outside???

I need to find out if it would be safe for me to put my dogs (beagle/mastiff mix), who are strictly inside dogs, outside for a few days in the winter. They would be inside a CLOSED barn, with straw, and tended to daily. I'd rather do this than put them in a kennel, since they know my family and not the workers at the kennel. I just want to be sure the would be ok in the cold, even though there would be no outside elements that could get to them.
Thank you to anyone that could give me an answer.

Old November 20th 03, 06:57 PM
ZPL

Depends on where you are, but I think they would be alright. Looking at the
breed mixture, you may want to prepare yourself for their trying to convince
you that they have been irreparably scarred emotionally...

lkaboutpets.com...

Old November 20th 03, 07:09 PM
Rosa Palmén

"jstrinity7" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
I need to find out if it would be safe for me to put my dogs

(beagle/mastiff mix), who are strictly inside dogs, outside for a few days
in the winter. They would be inside a CLOSED barn, with straw, and tended
to daily. I'd rather do this than put them in a kennel, since they know my
family and not the workers at the kennel. I just want to be sure the would
be ok in the cold, even though there would be no outside elements that could
get to them.
Thank you to anyone that could give me an answer.

You don't mention how cold it would be, so it's hard to say. beagles and
mastiffs don't have that much of a coat tho, so maybe you need to get tham
capes.
How often will you tend to them, how much time will you spend with them?
If you can't spend much time with them then maybe a kennel would be better.
If you keep them in the barn you will leave them many times, if you take
them to a kennel you will leave them only once. It is hard to say which will
be more traumatzing.

Rosa

Old November 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
Elizabeth Naime

If you are leaving town for those few days, please consider also the
security of the barn vs. the kennel. Sometimes dogs will escape
temporary housing, maybe trying to get home and find you or maybe just
because they are stressed and confused. Kennels are, or should be,
secure against this; barns may or may not be.

If it's your own barn on your own property, you could set up their area
and introduce them to it, and they may be more mentally comfortable
there if they see it as part of "home". Make sure it's very secure, and
if your climate is at all cold in the winter, use baled hay to make a
den for warmth and give them plenty of loose hay or straw to burrow
into. Hay is indeed VERY insulating!

If it's not your own barn, re-consider the kennel. Look at different
kennels in your area, some are better than others! For indoor dogs an
indoor kennel with an outdoor run keeps them warm and comfortable and
lets them continue to go outside to do their business. There are some
very nice places, and some very insitutional places.

Also consider having a pet-sitter come in for those few days to feed
your dogs and give them regular walks or supervised yard time. This
works very well for some dogs. Always check references!

Only know that there is no spork.