Samoyed and Keeshond Dominance

Old September 7th 04, 10:35 PM
Allan Morrison

Default Samoyed and Keeshond Dominance

I have an 11 year old spayed female Keeshond and an neutered 3 year old
Samoyed. They are both great dogs and get along famously most of the
time. The big problem, I think, is pack hierarchy. Casey, the Keeshond,
had a dominant big sister her whole life until she was about 8. She's a
pretty "independently submissive" dog. She's pretty happy to let any dog
be alpha. Now we have Neelix who has been with us from a pup. As soon as
he got big enough he's been biting her on the neck really hard. He's
caused two serious abcesses so far. He humps her like crazy also.
"Neelix Off" is a very well known phrase in our neighborhood.

They really do get along famously except for these two things. What is
going on, and how can I convince him to lay off of her. She ain't
getting any younger.

-Allan