Tips on dog socializing

Old September 29th 04, 10:16 AM
bigdadd39

Default Tips on dog socializing

Greetings all,

I was walking Nikki, my loveable
Shih-Tzu, the other day around our
apartment complex and we came across a
neighbor who has a full size Chihuahua.
Nikki is normally pretty mellow, very
friendly and wants to visit with
everyone (people) but really hasn't been
around other dogs very often. At first,
she was excited to see another dog and
the Chihuahua, who's name is Rosco, is a
very friendly fella, full of energy, and
loves to run and jump around. Nikki was
happy to meet him until he started to
prance and jump around. She didn't know
what to think about all this and got
scared. Whenever I take her out now,
she, eagerly, wants to go over by where
he lives but gets scared when he's out
and starts jumping around her.
Naturally, I pick her up and reassure
her that she is ok and that I am here to
take care of her.
It occurred to me that I've never
had her socialized around other dogs,
really because I've never had a need to.
We live in an apartment complex that
doesn't actually allow dogs/pets but
since I am disabled, I have a medical
reason to have one, so I'm allowed but
up until now, Nikki has been the only
dog around. She is excellent with kids
and other adults and my son works/plays
with her as much as I do but we've never
had the need to be concerned about her
around other dogs. I was wondering if
anyone has any simple tips for
socializing her with other dogs so she