What to tell the vet . . . [long]

Old September 30th 04, 02:15 AM
Eric Vey

Default What to tell the vet . . . [long]

To Mention or not to mention. That is the question.

I am getting ready to take my new (to me) 10 year-old Golden/Chow mix
dog to my vet for the first time. He had his shots about 11 months ago
(I inherited him back then) and a lot has changed in his life since I
took over:

1. He doesn't weigh 80 pounds anymore. By feeding him about 16-20oz. per
day of Iams Weight Reduction food, he is down to about 65# now. Since I
can now see his waist and feel his ribs, he is no longer on the weight
reduction food. And before the nutty ones yap, he is not starving and
doesn't get hungry until about 2 hours before feeding time (which I
consider to be about right).

2. He was Mr. Alpha over my Father-in Law for 8 years. FIW is dead. He
is no longer Mr. Alpha. No beating, tussling, wrestling to the ground
etc. went into this change. It was, and is, all about "attitude." Some
people here helped me with this issue and it is still a minor struggle
-- he doesn't miss a trick.

3. Here is where it gets dicey with the vet . . . The dog has chronic
diarrhea. He was being fed what I consider to be bad food (for a dog)
for years (chocolate, fried chicken, baked chicken, raw chicken, raw
beef, cooked beef, raw pork, cooked pork, ice cream, lots of milk,
cooked vegetables) before I came along. I tried feeding him a mix of
weight control kibbles and a teaspoon of canned dog food to add some
flavor, but he would have mucasey diarrhea until I cut off the canned
food completely and only fed him dried food (Iams Active Maturity).

My vet is a fairly reasonable fellow (I think) and since I have "cured"
this dog of his constant diarrhea, and didn't have to do anything nutty
(well, is giving him glucosomine for his hips nutty?) to do it should I
even mention it when I take him in?

The reason I ask this is because some vets have "hot buttons" and for
some, diarrhea is it. They want to order up thousands of dollars of
tests . . . things we can't afford.

To Mention or not to mention. That is the question. I have it under
control. The vet will ask me what I am feeding him, and nod his head in
approval when I say what it is . . .

Should I say why?