Jake behaving badly!

Old September 30th 04, 01:33 PM
Lynda

Default Jake behaving badly!

Hi everyone,

The following is a copy of questions Leah asked me yesterday, with my
answers. But as my reply was in an older posting under someone elses
heading of neutering, I wasn't sure if many people would see it hence
this re-post - I'd be grateful for any advice right now.

Leah wrote:

I meant, what specifically are you doing to train him not to bite?

Good question, because when I think about it I am probably not doing
anything to train him not to bite. I am just distracting him - e.g.
swap my hand for a chew, get him to sit and give a paw.

Is he biting in play? I don't remember exactly, but I was under the impression
that he was nipping as a warning. Two very different behaviors, and two
different ways of handling them.

There seem to be two situations. He nips my husband in excitement
when he gets home (not me, when I come home he rolls on his back). And
nips to get you to play which I ignore. That I put down to being a
pup.

But then there are the situations when he doesn't want to do
something. Consistent examples are getting him to come downstairs - he
won't and if I attempt to lead him by the collar (he's way to clever
to come for a treat or a toy) he will attempt to hold me with his
teeth whilst writhing to stop me moving him. On occasion I have gone
upstairs and put his lead on and got him down that way.

"Outside for a wee" is met with the same resistance, I sometimes have
to almost drag him along the floor - he'll do the same again, onto his
back to make it hard to move him and bite. He does show restraint with
his biting it's not a snarl and a real bite but it still hurts and
it's certainly not the right way to go on. And getting him to come off
the sofa is met with the same.

Again, it depends on what exactly you mean by "stopped me with his teeth."
Okay, which of these two statements is closer to what happens?

1. He turns quickly and puts his teeth on my hand, and stays still.

2. He's nipping all over the place, rolling around, waving his paws.

With the brushing (which I mentioned in my post yesterday), well all
of it really, it's number 2. I had thought that he was trying it on,
having a tantrum. But today we had a total disaster and I am now more
worried than I have been.

We went for a walk and in the past there have been occasions (more
when he was very young) where he has recognised the walk is nearly at
an end and nipped, tried to bite his lead, lay down, rolled over. Of
course I know what he is saying, "I don't want to go home". But today
about quarter of a mile towards the end of an out and back walk he
went wild. He was on his lead and kept jumping up and biting me, my
coat, the lead, my legs, breast, arms, hands. He actually scared me
because I did not know what to do and he would not stop. First off I
tried to distract him with "lets go over there, whats that", but he
carried on. I got him to sit and give paw, he did then we got a few
steps further and it started again. He showed all his teeth and my
hands and wrist are literally covered in bruises and welts and swollen
- that's not right!!

It eventually passed, and again, I think it was a tantrum as his
behaviour does follow the pattern I mention above - it's when he
doesn't want to do something - but I haven't got a clue how to handle
it I admit. He is treated so well and with so much love, yet at times
treats me with such disdain it hurts!

Part of me thinks he'll grow out of it, the other part is not so sure?
I might add that he is rarely let upstairs and only goes into the
lounge by invitation though he does make straight for the sofa. On a
walk where we do a circular route, I have no problems but somethimes
it has to be an out and back.

Sorry if I've rambled, today has really upset me 'cos of the damage
he's done to me and my lack of experience in knowing what to do next.

Lynda