Timid dog acting very very sketchy

Old October 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
Fins5969

Default Timid dog acting very very sketchy

This started when we tried to give our dog monthly Frontline. For whatever
reason - this freaked him out and he didn't want it. We made the mistake
of trying to catch & trap him. Ever since then - no matter what we are
doing -he skulks and hides under desks and tables. Mostly at night -
during the day and supper time he is fine. He also comes to my office
w/me a few times a week and he is fine then also. It just appears to be
at home, at night. He used to sleep on the spare bed, now he sleeps under
it. He will, however, come out for treats and food and to go out.

The vet tech at his vet who ended up having to administer the Frontline
because he wouldn't take it told us we should not allow this as he thinks
he's the "boss". So we did try to "make" him come out and dragged him as
she suggested. This only made matters worse as he was clearly not trying
to fight a will battle, he is PETRIFIED and showed me this by cowering
shaking and peeing! We have tried letting him be and seeing if he would
come to us and this is not working either. Now he just thinks "hiding" is
the norm and it is ok. I am not sure what to do about this - I want my
sweet affectionate, lovable dog back! AND I don't ant him to be scared of
us all the time. Any suggestions on what we can do?