Is there truth to the Urban Myth...

Old September 11th 04, 12:28 AM
Marie

Default Is there truth to the Urban Myth...

....that birds who eat rice later explode because they drink water and the
rice expands? Would a corollary of this be that a dog who eats dried pasta
will later explode if allowed to drink from the toilet?

I have to ask because...

The boys were playing in the living room with one of my teenage helpers
today while I tried to clean the kitchen. Alex (who's very into sounds and
rhythms) found a glass baby food jar and was dropping things in it and
shaking them around. To distract him, I got an empty powder canister and
some spaghettini, and we sat on the floor. My intention was to show him how
to make a rattle by breaking the pasta into little pieces and put it in the
canister. He got it, but what goes in must come out, so I wasn't able to
get him to leave the lid on. Chris meanwhile discovered how much fun it was
to take a handfull of the pasta and let it slide through his fist to the
floor like a bunch of pik-up sticks. Then he discovered what a neat feeling
it was to walk on the pasta (which crunched and slid and did all sorts of
things). Meanwhile, Alex decided his rattle sounded better he shook it
without the lid on. Soon there was dried pasta *all* over the living room
:-) It *really* was one of those times you wish there was a camera
recording the fun. And through it all, Macula quietly tried to clean up the
mess the boys were making (her number 1 job)--by eating piles of dried pasta
left on the floor.

I have no idea how much she actually ate, but I am wondering...if I hear a
'boom' in the dark tonight, do I *dare* look into Macula's crate?

Marie