Overweight ? (Pembroke Welsh Corgi)

Old November 25th 03, 07:21 AM
Sam

Default Overweight ? (Pembroke Welsh Corgi)

Hi all,
I have a 12-week-old male Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Recently he started to
gain weight very quickly. Now he is almost 11 lbs. Yesterday we took
him to receive the combo vaccine and the vet said he looks ok. However
my friend said his 5-month-old puppy Corgi weights only 10 lbs, and
overweight may cause "CANINE HIP DYSPLASIA". I am so worried. Is my
puppy normal?

Sammy
Old November 25th 03, 09:27 AM
Meghan Noecker

On 24 Nov 2003 22:21:50 -0800, (Sam) wrote:

Hi all,
I have a 12-week-old male Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Recently he started to
gain weight very quickly. Now he is almost 11 lbs. Yesterday we took
him to receive the combo vaccine and the vet said he looks ok. However
my friend said his 5-month-old puppy Corgi weights only 10 lbs, and
overweight may cause "CANINE HIP DYSPLASIA". I am so worried. Is my
puppy normal?

Do corgis vary in size? If so, then they may mature at different
rates. I am not really familiar with the breed or the variations in
the breed. I would probably lean toward the vet's opinion since they
have the dog's health in mind, regardless of the breed.

Can you feel your puppy's ribs? You shoudln't be able to see them, but
you should be able to feel them a little. If so, then he probably is
not overweight. If you can't feel them, then he may be overweight.

I'm not sure about puppies and diets since you want them to get the
nuitrition for proper growth. But you may need to cut back on the
portions a little.

I have an overweight sheltie who seems to gain weight on air. She has
an enlarged heart, so she starts coughing when overweight. Her heart
pushes on her windpipe, and with added fat, that leaves less room, so
it pushes more. The solution for her is to supplement her kibble with
green beans. They are non-fat and very low in calories, yet they add
content to her meals, so she feels like she has gotten a satisfying
meal. I use the french style since they are shredded and take longer
to eat, and also the "no salt added' since they don't need salt.

If you get to a point where your vet feels your dog is overweight, I
would ask their opinion on the green beans. I don't know if it would
be good for a puppy since it would be replacing some of the kibble. My
dog is an adult, so she just needs maintenance. No more growing for
her.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Old November 25th 03, 11:43 PM
buglady

"Scott" wrote in message
"Child" wrote in message
Doe he have a waist? My little guy, Stewart, is about 28 lb at 3 and a

half
years

........His is a 12 week old puppy - they don't have waists!

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 26th 03, 07:21 AM
Sharon too

.......His is a 12 week old puppy - they don't have waists!

I'm 40 and neither do I!

-Sharon