Epilepsy

Old November 25th 03, 10:52 PM
Scott

Default Epilepsy

It has been a rough two days, and I have much to learn about the subject,
but Epilepsy seems to have reared it head in my pack.

Stewart, the 3 1/2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi seems to have it. I say
seems because there are still a few tests outstanding with the vet, but he
seems pretty convinced it is epilepsy.

In the first 24 hours he had 7 seizures, starting at 6PM on Sunday night
then roughly one every 6 hours until his visit to the vet at noon on Monday.
Since the vet came to the house last night at 8PM and rectally injected
valium (25mg) they had gotten a bit more frequent and scary, including one
that led to a tumble down the steps onto the cement basement floor (the gate
is in place now). Since the injection there has not been a seizure
(crossing my fingers).

Besides these seizures he has been in excellent health all his life. Gets
regular exercise, we take a weekly Agility Class and there are daily ball
chasing sessions (He is the real retriever in our house). He is a solid 28
lbs, active, bright and a fun little guy.

Do any of you have any experience with epilepsy in dogs or know of any good
resources? I am very worried. While the vet did say that he had never had
to put a dog down for strictly epilepsy, I am still worried.

Despite having had dogs in my life all of my life, this is the first one who
calls me Poppa. The first one who is MY dog, if that distinction makes
sense to you all, and I presume it will to many of you.

Any information you can provide or point me to would be truly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Scott
aka Stewie's Daddy.

Old November 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Rocky

Scott said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Do any of you have any experience with epilepsy in dogs or
know of any good resources?

Unfortunately, a number of us here have experience with canine
epilepsy. For some background, try a google newsgroup search on
rec.pets.dogs.health with "epilepsy" as a keyword and "Rocky" as
the poster.

Also, check out the health links on the links page of my
website:
http://rocky-dog.com

I am very worried.

I know exactly what you're going through. You won't believe me
now, but you'll get used to the seizures. Rocky's grand mal
seizures are usually in the middle of the night - I can now deal
with them, deal with the after effects, and be back asleep in
half an hour. Three years ago, I never would have thought this
possible.

While the
vet did say that he had never had to put a dog down for
strictly epilepsy, I am still worried.

Rocky's litter brother was put down because of his epilepsy, but
this is uncommon. Through email lists, I know hundreds of dog
owners with epileptic dogs. There are a few who've had their
dogs put down, but the lists seem to attract those with dogs
with the most severe issues.

Check out the 2 email lists on my links page. If you have any
questions email me directly or post here.

Good luck.

Old November 26th 03, 02:35 PM
Scott

"Rocky" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you very much Matt. I did not do the Google search because there is
far TOO much information on the internet and I did not want to get bogged
down in conflicting and overwhelming details. I did forget about the groups
section though, that is a great idea. I appreciate the support.

Stewart has been "clean" for 36 hours now, we are building up the level of
pheno-barb in his system at the moment to a level where it should help
control them. He is still scared and a bit disoriented at times. He is not
overly happy with his "house" though. He seems a bit scared of it, since
half of his seizures where in there while he slept. Not that I blame him,
but he used to love his crate. I think he will get over the fear fairly
soon. He is a tough little bugger who has had the fecal matter scared out
of him.

Thanks again.

Scott

Old November 26th 03, 06:36 PM
Rocky

Scott said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Stewart has been "clean" for 36 hours now, we are building
up the level of pheno-barb in his system at the moment to a
level where it should help control them.

The PB level should be at therapetic levels almost right away
(within days). Since Stewart is experiencing cluster seizures,
you should ask your vet about Potassium Bromide. It takes about
6 weeks to build up in the system - at that point I was able to
reduce Rocky's PB.

Old December 10th 03, 07:11 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

"Scott" wrote in message

Do any of you have any experience with epilepsy in dogs or know of any

good
resources? I am very worried. While the vet did say that he had never

had
to put a dog down for strictly epilepsy, I am still worried.

I had a Cocker Spaniel as a kid that had epilepsy. When he had attacks he
often lost bladder and bowel control. It was never fun. We learned that
small doses of common barbituates are often prescribed for these animals.
What concerns me is that such a thing is addictive and can not be stopped
after a physical dependency has developed. Further, I worry about liver
damage and effects on the animal that might make him or her "foggy". I
assume they have come up with better recurring treatments now, but I am not
aware of them offhand.

Despite having had dogs in my life all of my life, this is the first one

who
calls me Poppa. The first one who is MY dog, if that distinction makes
sense to you all, and I presume it will to many of you.

It makes absolute sense to me. My nearly 8 year old Golden Retriever died
on Monday night. She saw a dog at our back door and started barking. I
went outside to shoe off the dog. The dog fled, but my dog assumed it had
gone around front and ran to the front door. We have a four-level (modified
two level) home, so there is three stairs between the family room and the
front door. She apparently tripped on one while going up the stairs and
fell backward/sideways back down them. I assume she either hit her head or
broke her neck. My daughter saw it, but didn't think anything was wrong
until I noticed her. She died within two minutes. My life is absolutely
EMPTY right now. I feel like I just lost one of my best friends (because I
DID!). A man of 32 years, I can honestly say that she is the best dog that
I have EVER owned. I loved that dog and she loved me. My Wife and I have
decided that we will get another Golden pup this Spring.

Sorry if I stole the topic. My point was that I fully understand how you
feel about your dog.

Tom Veldhouse

Old December 15th 03, 08:44 PM
Scott

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I am very sorry to hear about that Tom. I do understand how tough such
losses can be. Thank you for your words of support.

For an update, he, Stewart, is currently on Pheno-Barbitol and will be
weened off of that onto Potassium Bromide in the next few months. He has
not had any re-ocurrances since those 7 in the first 24 hours (knocks on
wood) and all seems well.

Scott

Seizures Help! Rocky Dog health 17 August 27th 03 04:07 AM
Epilepsy Belal Y. Hamzeh Dog health 8 August 7th 03 02:26 AM
Epilepsy Belal Y. Hamzeh Dog health 0 August 5th 03 03:38 PM