Need suggestions-stimulating my older dog

Old October 27th 04, 08:47 PM
Robin

Default Need suggestions-stimulating my older dog

I adopted a beautiful, wonderful little 9-12 yr old from a rescue group
6 mos ago (cockapoo/terrier). This is also my first dog, so I'm
inexperienced. Don't know anything about her background other than her
family turned her in to a shelter because she was "old" (I won't even go
into her medical condition). Now she's healthy and extremely loved.
This is the problem. I work at home. That's the good news so I can be
with her most of the time (she has separation anxiety). But she has no
interest in playing. I've tried squeeze toys, bones to chew, rope like
things, balls and various other toys. I've tried to interest her in
playing chase with me, only once it worked. The vet said it may be her
age or if she never played when she was younger, it won't happen now.
She LOVES going out for walks, so I try to get at least two long ones in
per day aside from the quick letting her go out for bathroom stuff. (No
backyard, I live in a condo, need to keep her on a leash).

She waits patiently for me all day and night, usually sleeping, until
the time comes where we go out. I also take her everywhere with me I
can possibly get away with it but she often has to sit and wait for me
there also (i.e. getting my hair and nails done, visiting my mother,,
doctor's visit - one of them let's me bring her in,variety of stores,
chiropractor, etc.)

My heart breaks because I feel she is absolutely bored and doesn't have
much to look forward to because she sleeps most of the time waiting for
me. She LOVES to go for walks,which I take her on at least twice a day
which are usually 45 min-1 hour, she perks right up full of energy,
raring to go, little tail wagging which I love to see.

The only "toy" I can interest her in is the kong toy because she loves
to eat, but I don't give her snacks, and don't want to overfeed her,
although I suppose I could give her her meals in the kong.

From reading the dog NG's and other sites, I know this is not unusual,
but wonder if anyone has found a way for such a dog to be stimulated
both without your involvement (so I can keep working) and with my
involvement so I can enjoy her.

Thanks.

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4