Need Some Help with my Belgian Malinois

Old July 21st 03, 09:24 PM
joe

Default Need Some Help with my Belgian Malinois

Hi,

we just recently adopted a 1yr old Belgian Malinois for our local
animal shelter. He's a great dog, but has one problem. He tends to
"Nip" when playing with us. He's not being aggressive (Not
intentionally trying to hurt), because when he is calm he does not do
it.

I'd like to know if there is a good way to break him of this
behaviour. I've read that they do not respond well to certain types
of training (hitting, for example). Anyone have any
suggestions/experience with this breed or problem??

Thanks
Joe

Old July 21st 03, 09:33 PM
Rusty Myers

Yip like a puppy and briefly disengage from play. They are smart dogs and
will quickly learn what the line is between good play and being too rough.
They don't want to hurt you and just need to know when they did. Yipping
(or sometimes a loud ouch) is a immediate signal that they crossed the line.
Disengaging is the more extreme step. It has work quite well with our
9month GSD. We tried just teaching a "no bite" command and it was less than
effective. She seems to like to say hello to us by mouthing our forearms
(doggy handshake?) and she used to get carried away and now I have no
worries about her.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX