Puupy food until what age ? ?

Old November 28th 03, 02:12 PM
Ellen Worthington

Default Puupy food until what age ? ?

Hello. I just bought a Rottweiler pup. He cost $700 US dollars. I found the
breeder from a local newspaper ad. The breeder said that he will be the
giant-boned type with an enormous head. However, he said that the best way
for the dog to achieve the size that he was bred for is to feed the dog
puppy food for his entire life because of the extra protein and amino
acids. Does this sound right?

I was always under the impression that puppy food is only for the first
year. My vet says the opposite. He said that I should stop the puppy food
when the dog is 6 months old. This sounds somewhat extreme too. I am so
confused!

Ellen

PS. I have him on Science Diet large breed growth. Is this a good choice?
The vet suggested it, but then again he sold it to me. The breeder
suggested Pedigree Puppy. The pup is 12 weeks old now.
Old November 28th 03, 04:50 PM

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Ellen Worthington wrote:
Hello. I just bought a Rottweiler pup. He cost $700 US dollars. I found the
breeder from a local newspaper ad. The breeder said that he will be the
giant-boned type with an enormous head.

That is unfortunate because it alwo means your dog has a much higher risk
of being crippled by orthopedic disease. Its tough on the joints to carry
that extra structure. I'll bet the breeder didn't bother with cardiac
testing the sire and dam? OFA cerification to make sure neither had hip
displaysia, elbow displaysia or patellar luxation? Thyroid checks to make
sure both parents were thyroid normal before breeding? CERF certification
to check for eye disease before breeding?

However, he said that the best way
for the dog to achieve the size that he was bred for is to feed the dog
puppy food for his entire life because of the extra protein and amino
acids. Does this sound right?

That kind of feeding very well might induce the extra growth. That kind
of induced growth is well known for causing OCD and other forms of joint
disease. The best bet for reducing your risks of crippling your dog is to
start feeding adult food now.

I was always under the impression that puppy food is only for the first
year. My vet says the opposite. He said that I should stop the puppy food
when the dog is 6 months old. This sounds somewhat extreme too. I am so
confused!

Your vet is closer to correct. Your breeder is making some very
unfortunate choices.

Ellen

PS. I have him on Science Diet large breed growth. Is this a good choice?
The vet suggested it, but then again he sold it to me. The breeder
suggested Pedigree Puppy. The pup is 12 weeks old now.

Science diet is what I would call an "acceptable" dog food but not one I
would choose to use. The large breed growth formula is designed to reduce
the risk of joint disease by not pushing excessive growth. There is no
shortage of opinion on what is acceptable dog food. The opinions are
based on various parts fact and philosophy. Philosophically I prefer a
higher quality dog food, one where the ingredients don't include protein
sources I suspect aren't used well in digestion - such as feathers. To do
this you will find it useful to learn to read ingredients.

http://www.washingtonsquareveterinar...ood_labels.htm
http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht1.html
Dog Health & Nutrition for Dummies, by Christine Zink

FWIW an example of what you can expect from a good breeder is
http://www.amrottclub.org/coe.htm

Diane Blackman

Old November 28th 03, 06:22 PM
Sharon too

Puppy food (we recommend Science Diet,) should be discontinued between 6 mo
and 12 mo depending on the dog and the breed. Any longer than that and you
risk serious orthopedic problems in large dogs among other things. As the
dog ages the extra protein will seriously overwork the kidneys and lead to
failure.

If you are weighing the advice of your breeder against your vet, stick with
your vet. Your breeder is only interested in getting your pup to look huge.
Your vet is interested in its overall health and well being.

-Sharon

Old November 28th 03, 07:02 PM
GAUBSTER2

I was always under the impression that puppy food is only for the first
year. My vet says the opposite. He said that I should stop the puppy food
when the dog is 6 months old.

Generally speaking puppy food is for the first year. Certain breeds may alter
that general statement.

PS. I have him on Science Diet large breed growth. Is this a good choice?
The vet suggested it, but then again he sold it to me. The breeder
suggested Pedigree Puppy. The pup is 12 weeks old now.

2 of the nutrtional risk factors in large breed pups is the fat and calcium
content of the food being fed. Science Diet Lrg breed growth is formulated to
control the growth rate of large breed dogs. I would stay away from Pedigree
completely as it is a lower quality food.

Old November 29th 03, 12:06 AM
Karen M.

Ellen Worthington wrote:

[...]

Hi Ellen,

My friends are raising a Swiss Mountain puppy and are dealing with some
of the same questions. Make sure you stick with a puppy food for large
breeds, as they are formulated differently so such puppies don't grow
too fast and develop orthopedic problems. If you're concerned with what
your vet says, look up an animal nutritionist in your area and ask them.
Have fun with your puppy!! Pictures??

Puupy food until what age ? ? Ellen Worthington Dog breeds 14 December 10th 03 04:04 PM
dog food from manufacture Serebryanyy Vlad Dog activities 0 December 1st 03 06:24 PM
pet food recall Lydia Dog health 0 October 27th 03 08:10 PM
Food Change? radionutz Dog health 4 August 31st 03 07:14 PM
Food Change? radionutz Dog health 0 August 27th 03 03:17 PM