my dogs nose

Old November 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
MauiJNP

Default my dogs nose

I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks old.
Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole nose is
not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a mix. It
looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this normal or a sign
of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any help!

Old November 3rd 04, 03:00 AM
culprit

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks old.
Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole nose is
not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a mix. It
looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this normal or a
sign of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any help!

has this been happening since the weather cooled off? some dogs get "winter
nose" and their nose will turn black again in summer.

-kelly

Old November 3rd 04, 03:02 AM
MauiJNP

"culprit" wrote in message

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks
old. Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole
nose is not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a
mix. It looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this
normal or a sign of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any
help!

has this been happening since the weather cooled off? some dogs get
"winter nose" and their nose will turn black again in summer.

-kelly

yes it has. is this ok then? thanks for the reply!

Old November 3rd 04, 03:05 AM
MauiJNP

I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks
old.
Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole nose is
not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a mix. It
looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this normal or a
sign
of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any help!

Does he drink out of a plastic bowl? I've heard that sometimes the
chemicals
in the plastic will turn a black nose pink. It happened to one of my
dogs.
However, I wouldn't think it would happen in a matter of weeks.

yes he does drink out of a plastic bowl. should I not do this? I really
like the bowl because it is one of those spill proof ones but if it is
hurting Maui (my puppy) I will get rid of it!

Old November 3rd 04, 03:09 AM
Tara

MauiJNP wrote:

"culprit" wrote in message

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks
old. Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole
nose is not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a
mix. It looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this
normal or a sign of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any
help!

has this been happening since the weather cooled off? some dogs get
"winter nose" and their nose will turn black again in summer.

-kelly

yes it has. is this ok then? thanks for the reply!

My Finn used to get this, especially when the apartment was dry from the
heat. A humidifier always helped...but then I myself can't make it
through winter in a NYC apartment without one.

Tara
Old November 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
Rocky

Leah said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does he drink out of a plastic bowl? I've heard that
sometimes the chemicals in the plastic will turn a black
nose pink.

Plastic bowl dermatitis is related to plastic bowls in that
they're easily scratched and not easily cleaned - a breeding
ground for a bacterial infection, especially in water bowls.
It's not the chemicals in the plastic.

As I suggested in another group, the OP should see his/her vet
about a possible bacterial infection.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:49 AM
Trish

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks

old.
Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole nose is
not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a mix. It
looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this normal or a

sign
of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any help!

I have a lab/terrier mix, when he was a pup he had a black nose, at about 2
months in age his nose turned pink. He's 16 now and it's still pink, he's
fine with that

Old November 3rd 04, 11:53 AM
Sionnach

is this ok then?

No offense, but nobody on this group can answer that.
Group members can give you suggestions as to what it *might* be (and my
guess is that it's normal "winter nose"), but only YOUR VET can tell you for
sure whether or not it's benign or due to an infection.

Old November 3rd 04, 02:35 PM
FurPaw

MauiJNP wrote:
I have a 18 week poodle who had a black nose when I got him at 8 weeks old.
Now his black looks like it rubbed off and it is pink. The whole nose is
not all the same color, some is still black, some pink and some a mix. It
looks like it will all be pink eventuallyu though. Is this normal or a sign
of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for any help!

Obviously,the first thing to do is to get your vet to check for infection.

But it could also be winter nose. My Lab's nose turned pink sometime
during his first winter. Some dogs' noses turn black again during the
summer. As Oppie approaches his ninth winter, we're still waiting.

FurPaw

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

To reply, unleash the dog.