Help silencing the neighbor's dogs.

Old November 11th 04, 03:47 AM
Picklenose1

Default Help silencing the neighbor's dogs.

First, let me apologize, as I'm sure this topic has been discussed in
the past, but I am new to this group.

My problem is:

My neighbors have 2 dogs, that love to bark. The person that owned
their house before them extended their fence so that it runs alongside
my house to the front of their house.

It is the only fence on my block that extends to the front of the
house, all others are even with the rear of the house. I have not
checked the building codes, as it isn't the current owners fault, and
that is a last resort. I also haven't complained to the city (yet),
but if I am unable fix the problem, I may.

My neighbors dogs bark at the drop of a hat, sometimes the older dog
will attack the younger dog if the younger dog "outperforms" him,
causing the familiar "yipe-yipe-yipe" sound. My house is made of
wood, and all 3 bedrooms windows/walls are 10 feet away from these
monsters...my windows shake, as they are med-large dogs. Honestly, it
is causing me anxiety, as a former dog owner, my parents would always
make me silence my dog if it were barking, regardless of time of day.

My neighbor was leaving them out all night during the summer, and the
would go off anytime anything walked by. She has since been putting
them in the house at night. because I asked my mother to have a word
with her.

To make a long story short, and stating that I am a dog lover, do not
blame the dogs for their barking, and do not want to harm them in
anyway...how can I get them to hush?

I went to 4 pet stores in my area today looking for one of those
ultrasonic dog repellents that I had seen advertised on the web for
15-20$ (they look like a car alarm remote). None of the pet stores
carried them, so I called a K9 specialty store. The guy on the phone
was really nice, and said he had them...but too be honest, he said
they wouldn't work. He said the dogs would quit barking to listen to
the sound it emitted, because they had never heard it before. He then
said that they would "just get used to it", and keep barking. He told
me to go to City Hall and get a copy of the "nuisance dog ordnance"
that provides a penalty (ticket) if the dogs are barking from 10pm to
8am. He said, once the dogs barking eats into the owners pocket-book,
it would cease.

I really was hoping the ultrasonic repellent would have worked, I
could just open my window, point and shoot.

Any advice would be appreciated, I love dogs....quiet dogs.

Thanks

Old November 11th 04, 04:33 AM
Child

"Picklenose1" wrote in message

I went to 4 pet stores in my area today looking for one of those
ultrasonic dog repellents that I had seen advertised on the web for
15-20$ (they look like a car alarm remote). None of the pet stores
carried them, so I called a K9 specialty store. The guy on the phone
was really nice, and said he had them...but too be honest, he said
they wouldn't work. He said the dogs would quit barking to listen to
the sound it emitted, because they had never heard it before. He then
said that they would "just get used to it", and keep barking. He told
me to go to City Hall and get a copy of the "nuisance dog ordnance"
that provides a penalty (ticket) if the dogs are barking from 10pm to
8am. He said, once the dogs barking eats into the owners pocket-book,
it would cease.

those ultrasonic dog bark punishers can work, sure, but I think that the guy
is right -if your town has a barking ordinance, then you should turn these
folks in, and see if you can get things handled at that level. Have you
spoken to the neighbor? Would that be possible? (I would hate to do that).

Old November 11th 04, 04:52 AM
Picklenose1

Actually, speaking to the neighbor hasn't even entered my mind. There
is no way they can be that oblivious to the hound dog chorus happening
outside, so I just consider them inconsiderate and figure I shouldn't
have to state the obvious to them.

The lady even encourages their barking...when she comes home, she
talks "baby talk" to them and they go ape-sh*t. It may be music to
her, but it isn't to me, and probably a few other neighbors who like
peace and quiet.

I would prefer to handle the situation myself, without involving the
city, but I will as a last resort. Basically, I just want to
condition the dogs to only bark in their backyard, not on the side of
my house.

Thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:33:10 -0900, "Child"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 11th 04, 05:19 AM
Child

"Picklenose1" wrote in message
Actually, speaking to the neighbor hasn't even entered my mind. There
is no way they can be that oblivious to the hound dog chorus happening
outside, so I just consider them inconsiderate and figure I shouldn't
have to state the obvious to them.

Yes, I totally understand, but it can save hard feelings if you speak to
them first before involving animal control or the police.

The lady even encourages their barking...when she comes home, she
talks "baby talk" to them and they go ape-sh*t. It may be music to
her, but it isn't to me, and probably a few other neighbors who like
peace and quiet.

I would prefer to handle the situation myself, without involving the
city, but I will as a last resort. Basically, I just want to
condition the dogs to only bark in their backyard, not on the side of
my house.

Then you know what - try the ultrasonic bark breaker first - its a
relatively easy win if it works. If it doesn't you are out 35$ - and you
still have the other options open to you.

Old November 11th 04, 05:20 AM
Emily Carroll/Fluttervale

"Picklenose1" wrote in message
Actually, speaking to the neighbor hasn't even entered my mind. There
is no way they can be that oblivious to the hound dog chorus happening
outside, so I just consider them inconsiderate and figure I shouldn't
have to state the obvious to them.

The lady even encourages their barking...when she comes home, she
talks "baby talk" to them and they go ape-sh*t. It may be music to
her, but it isn't to me, and probably a few other neighbors who like
peace and quiet.

I would prefer to handle the situation myself, without involving the
city, but I will as a last resort. Basically, I just want to
condition the dogs to only bark in their backyard, not on the side of
my house.

Some people can learn to not even hear that kind of noise--so it may not be
obvious to her. For example, when I first moved into town, I couldn't sleep
what for the cars going by. Now I have an expressway 50 yards from my
bedroom and it doesn't bother me a bit.

So, she probably doesn't hear it in the sense that it doesn't bother her.
I'd mention to her that it's interfering with your studying/sleep/etc. and
if possible, could she please bring the dogs in when they start to bark?
She probably hasn't a clue that her dogs are bothering you.

--
Emily Carroll
http://www.fluttervale.com/kennel - Fluttervale Labradors

Old November 11th 04, 12:22 PM
RJH

I'm about to purchase a Sheltie puppy .... a breed that is known to bark so
seen I live in the city am surrounded by neighoubours/fences. I will be
debarking my little fellow if I am unable to convince him that barking isn't
tolerated.

. com...

Old November 11th 04, 07:30 PM
JoKing

Ok Am I the only one who thinks this is an intolerably bad choice? Why
would anyone get a breed that is known to bark if barking is going to be a
problem? Your "solution" sounds cruel and irresponsible.

Old November 11th 04, 08:58 PM
Picklenose1

Thanks for the link...looks like exactly what I've been looking for.
But do they work???

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:50:30 -0600, diddy
wrote:

in thread : Picklenose1
whittled the following words:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...d=7284&N=2001+
2017

Old November 12th 04, 03:44 AM
Picklenose1

Not ultrasonic, eh? Perhaps it isn't what I need afterall. I don't
want to add to the noise polution, and wouldn't want that thing going
off everytime my neighbors went in their sidedoor, or made noise in
general.

I was hoping, in this day and age, that there would be a more quiet
alternative out there. I don't care to use citronella (or other
scents) as they may be offensive to my neighbors. I wouldn't want to
inadvertantly spray/gas them on accident.

I may try the barker breaker, as it in itself is a subtle hint that
their dogs are a problem. I just wonder if it may be an ordnance
violation (noise), just as the dogs barking can be.

Thanks for the tip, it's definately in my top 5 things I could do.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:55:10 -0600, diddy
wrote:

in thread : Picklenose1
whittled the following words:

Thanks for the link...looks like exactly what I've been looking for.
But do they work???

It's does here!

An even better choice option is from the manufacturer themselves.
http://www.amtekpet.com

I use the good neighbor barker breaker.
It is NOT ultrasonic.It emits a loud noise. The dogs hate it and DOES shut
them up. My husband hates the noise(sounds like an oven timer going off)
and prefers the barking.I prefer the barker breaker.
Except in heavy wind (it used to go off in moderate wind, until I put a
ziplock bag over it.) where it false alarms, and I turn it off.
One bark, and the dogs shut up.

wrote:

in thread : Picklenose1
whittled the following words:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...catid=7284&N=2
001+ 2017
I really was hoping the ultrasonic repellent would have worked, I
could just open my window, point and shoot.

Any advice would be appreciated, I love dogs....quiet dogs.

Thanks

Video clip......."Nero" practicing bark alert, while walking backwards on dogwalk. Sitmeanssit Dog behavior 3250 June 16th 04 03:42 PM
Today Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 124 February 25th 04 06:23 PM
Need Advice and Help in placing 4 dogs in a no-kill shelter Tara O. Dog rescue 50 October 6th 03 11:24 PM