dry elbows and other skin conditions

Old December 1st 03, 04:24 AM
Chloe's Mom

Default dry elbows and other skin conditions

I was just playing with Chloe, and as she was settling down to lay in my
lap, I noticed a few things.

1. sores under her arms - she had this a couple months ago, the vet gave me
a spray, so I have started spraying it again.

2. she's been chewing her feet alot lately - and I looked and between the
first and 2nd toe on the front left paw is pretty red.

3. down just above her ulva is a red raised dot - I think it might be a
fire ant bite (as it looks similar to how we humans react to those bites).

4. then I looked and on one of her elbows I noticed a few dry scaley
patches. I know I've seen dogs in the past with really bad scaley spots on
their elbows.

What is it? And what can I do to keep it from getting any worse?

Old December 1st 03, 05:30 PM
Suja

Chloe's Mom wrote:

1. sores under her arms - she had this a couple months ago, the vet gave me
a spray, so I have started spraying it again.

Does she wear a harness instead of a collar? If you use a seatbelt,
maybe it's chafing her somehow?

2. she's been chewing her feet alot lately - and I looked and between the
first and 2nd toe on the front left paw is pretty red.

Check to make sure there is nothing in that particular area. No thorns
or other embedded objects, and that she hasn't been bitten by anything.
If this is persistent, and she is constantly chewing on her feet, it
could be allergies.

3. down just above her ulva is a red raised dot - I think it might be a
fire ant bite (as it looks similar to how we humans react to those bites).

Dunno about that, but keep a close eye on it.

4. then I looked and on one of her elbows I noticed a few dry scaley
patches. I know I've seen dogs in the past with really bad scaley spots on
their elbows.

What is it? And what can I do to keep it from getting any worse?

It's basically like callouses that humans get. Dogs that lie on hard
floors (concrete, tile, etc.) tend to develop them faster than ones that
stay on soft surfaces. According to my former vet, there is no point in
interfering with it, especially if the dog is choosing the surface of
its own accord. About the only thing he has seen that works is similar
to human elbow pads, and apparently there are people out there who
custom fit those things to the dog.

Suja