How to train older dog to poop on puppy sheet?

Old November 21st 04, 01:04 PM
Robin

Default How to train older dog to poop on puppy sheet?

I adopted an approx 10 year old cockapoo 7 mos ago. With rare
exception, she never pees in the house, and has never pooped in the
house. With that said, she never lets me know when she has to go, so I
take her out 4 times (or more) per day, and that seems to be working ok.

The problem - she's afraid of rain, even sprinkles, and won't go out at
those times. She doesn't go to the bathroom in the house, she just holds
it until there's a break in the weather, which so far has been by the
next morning.

I've tried everything I can think of to encourage her to go on the
sheets they use to help housebreak puppies. I have put grass, and
foliage on the pads, I have sprinkled some urine scented substance
purchased at the pet store for training puppies where to go, but she
will not even consider this sheet an option. I have placed it inside the
house, but also, on the front porch which is covered and the covered
balcony in back, but no luck.

I don't want her to feel the discomfort of having to hold it in for
such a long period of time.

Is there any technique I can use so she will feel comfortable to go on
this sheet? I don't know what her life was like before I adopted her,
and if and how she might have been punished for going in the house,
which I feel might be the issue.

In my home, I never raise my voice, all communication is gentle, soft
and quiet, respectful and sensitive to her personality. No harshness
whatsoever. I know she trusts me now, but if there was prior abuse in
connection to where she would go, it would be helpful to know what
technique might help her feel safe in regard to using this puppy pad.

Thx,
Robin

--
Do not email if posting response. To email, replace x with 4
Old November 21st 04, 06:48 PM
Natalie Rigertas

Robin wrote:

The problem - she's afraid of rain, even sprinkles, and won't go out at
those times. She doesn't go to the bathroom in the house, she just holds
it until there's a break in the weather, which so far has been by the
next morning.

A LOT of dogs do this. I don't think it's that big of a deal since it
only happens once in a while. If the pain from holding the pee is that
great, they would pee in the house instead.

What you can try is going out with her, with her on a leash, and telling
her to go. You can practice this during nice weather, having her on a
leash, and when she starts to pee, say "Hurry Up! or Do your Duty! Or Go
pee!" whatever you feel like saying. Eventually, she'll connect the two,
so when you take her out and tell her go pee, she'll pee. So, the next
time it rains and it's been a while since she was taken out, go outside,
with an umbrella, her leashed up, and tell her to go. It should work
better that way, and make *you* feel better.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker