What can I do about my adopted dog!

Old November 26th 04, 07:11 PM
B. Rhodes

Default What can I do about my adopted dog!

We have a 1 1/2 year old Boston Terrier that we raised from a puppy, and we
adopted a 2 year old Beagle ("Kandy"), this past Tuesday. Kandy was formerly
owned by an elderly couple who had kept her as their only pet, and spoiled
her rotten (she needs to go on a diet).

We introduced the dogs together at the animal protection shelter so they
would be able to get to know each other on neutral ground, and they seemed
fine with each other, but as soon as we got the Beagle home, the dogs
started playing with each other and it started to get rough, with some
"mounting" from both dogs and eventually building to barking and nipping.

So I did some research online and read that maybe the new dog should be kept
in a crate for my Boston to get used to, so we've been doing that for a few
days. But if we let them out together they immediately start mounting and
nipping again.

Now, on top of this, Kandy has started to chew at her tail, pulling some of
the fur out and leaving a red, raw bald spot.

I'm not sure what to do. Can someone give me some ideas as to what I should
do? Should I bring Kandy back to the shelter? She is such a sweetheart when
she's by herself, but the 2 of them just arent getting along. :-(

Thanks in advance
Brad

Old November 26th 04, 08:09 PM
Leah

"B. Rhodes"
wrote:
I'm not sure what to do. Can someone give me some ideas as to what I should
do? Should I bring Kandy back to the shelter? She is such a sweetheart when
she's by herself, but the 2 of them just arent getting along. :-(

First of all, get Kandy to the vet to determine whether or not the tail
denuding has a medical cause. If not, then it is a sign of anxiety. Even if
everything was going smoothly in the house, it's still a brand new situation
for Kandy. Many rescues have anxiety issues, and it may or may not relate to
the way Kandy interacts with the Boston terrier.

This is a case where you need somebody in-person to watch the dogs interact.
What you described can be anything from perfectly innocent rough play to a
ticking bomb for a serious fight. You need experienced eyes to judge what's
really going on.

Barking, nipping, and growling can be perfectly normal play for certain dogs.
That's why one of many dogs' favorite games is called "bitey-face."

The most obvious sign of play-fighting is bent elbows. If they play bow (go
down on their front legs with their butts in the air), or wave their paws at
each other, they're playing. The most obvious danger signal is a staring dog
who is standing still.

But there is a whole lot of important body language inbetween, and your safest
bet is to invest in a one-hour appointment with a behaviorist to come to your
home.

---
Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
It's A Dog's Life
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums

Old November 27th 04, 05:22 PM
Sionnach

"Leah" wrote:

First of all, get Kandy to the vet to determine whether or not the tail
denuding has a medical cause. If not, then it is a sign of anxiety.

What she said - although I'll add that there are cases where
self-mutilation is neither medical nor anxiety-based; sometimes it's a
mental quirk.

This is a case where you need somebody in-person to watch the dogs

interact.
What you described can be anything from perfectly innocent rough play to a
ticking bomb for a serious fight.

And what she said again. G
What you're describing could be perfectly normal dog play, especially in
light of the fact that one of them is a terrier; it could also be normal
boundary/status setting (IOW, something that will resolve without
intervention). There's simply no way anybody on here can correctly interpret
what's going on without *seeing* it.