A training problem

Old November 27th 04, 09:24 AM
Robert Meek

Default A training problem

I got a non-pet store Yorkie as a 7 week old puppy and started in on
training right away. He is now about 15 weeks and he sits on command, never
leaves my side...he bonded more than any dog I ever had in the past...so
much so that if I let someone else take him for a walk he doesn't want to go
and if I take him and drop the leash he picks it up and brings it back to
me! I got him to stop biting my hands and scratching visitors and he's
friendly with people and with other dogs provided they don't start growling
at him. I even have him trained so that I can put a treat on the floor for
him after making him sit, and he won't go for it until I tell him it's okay!
But I can't seem to get him housebroken! Everytime it seems like he's
getting the idea he reverts! He doesn't go at night...he sleeps in my room
and has a doggy door to an outside porch where he'll go if he has to but as
soon as I get up and open the door to the living room he'll go pee and/or
**** on the carpet! I try to keep him on a feeding schedule and get my
jacket on so I can take him out as soon as he's done. Half the time he then
shits outside, but other times he won't until I bring him back in and then
he goes on the carpet! It doesn't seem to matter where either!
The lady who gave him to me lives pretty far away but she called to ask
how he was doing and she told me that his sister is the same and is the "Dog
from hell!" That she tears the entire house apart. Well at least I finally
broke him of that because at first he cost me quite a bit of money fixing
what he chewed up!
I just don't know what to do to get him to pee and **** where he's
supposed to though. I've tried newspapers which he just tears up, and those
doggy pads, which I'll admit he does sometimes pee on, but he will not ****
on them at all! What else can I do? Am I being too impatient? Is he too
young for this type of dog? All my other dogs were big mutts and they all
learned quite easy. Any help greatly appreciated!

--
from Robert Meek dba "Tangentals Design"
Personal e-mail:

visit us on the World Wide Web and pick up
your free copy of "The Keep" at:

http://www.TangentalsDesign.com

E-mail us at one of the following:

Old November 27th 04, 01:13 PM
Leah

"Robert Meek" wrote:
What else can I do? Am I being too impatient? Is he too
young for this type of dog? All my other dogs were big mutts and they all
learned quite easy.

Yes, yorkies are traditionally harder to housebreak than larger dogs. Yes,
he's too young to be 100% reliable over long periods of time, simply because he
hasn't developed the bladder control he'll have in maturity.

Using the newspapers and puppy pads inside is also working against you. You're
giving him the message that it's ok to go inside.

Here's a guide for potty training:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/potty-training.html

---
Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
It's A Dog's Life
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums