1 and a half year old german shepherd is afraid of our new house

Old November 28th 04, 06:57 PM
mr greg

Default 1 and a half year old german shepherd is afraid of our new house

Well as the title says, our german shepherd seems to be afraid of our
new house.
in the day, he is always looking at the ceilings like he almost afraid
of shadows, then he tries to hide behind couches etc. I try to play
with him to make him more comfortable but he just isnt in the mood for
it. also at night I had to put boxes under my bed because he forces
his 95lbs body underneath it and gets stuck under there. once i pull
him out, he runs and hides in the bathroom facing the wall wedged
under the toilet!
I am at a loss at what to do. Thanks for your help in advance.

greg-
Old November 29th 04, 12:14 AM
mr greg

well all i can take from this is that mishandling caused the fear.
I dont (intentionally) mishandle my dog, he has a great temperment,
and had 0 problems until I moved into the new house. Outside he is
fine, its just inside where this happens. If i praise him for hiding
under the bed I would think it send the message confirming his fears.
I can see him visably looking up at the cieling like something is
there that is causing this all to happen. it gets better at night when
there are no shadows casued by the sun. Still even at night he tried
to crawl under the bed. When i boxed the underneath of the bed off,
he went back to sleeping normally next to it. He seemed to be getting
better, but then last night he forced his way under, and now seems to
be back to how he was once we moved in.
I dont ever hit my animals, and I dont yell at him for doing this. I
just want to know what the right approach is, if thats praise even
when hes hiding then let me know. Its just that reading your replies
didnt make much sense, and were barely legible. I do appreciate the
response.

mr greg-
Old November 30th 04, 05:56 AM
Leah

(mr greg) wrote:
well all i can take from this is that mishandling caused the fear.

Sigh. Apparently you're replying to our resident loon. Most of us have him
killfiled, so we never see his posts. But telling every poster that he
mishandles and abuses his dog is his modus operandi.

If i praise him for hiding
under the bed I would think it send the message confirming his fears.

Well, Jerry almost got something right here. :}

Actually, if you "aww, poor baby" him, you'll be sending a message that
confirms his fears - yes, it is a scary thing. Instead, you want to be totally
unconcerned and cheerful with him.

Is it possible that there is something real in your new house that could be
spooking him? Maybe animals in the attic? A sound, like the beeping of a dead
alarm? Whatever it is, sounds like it's coming from the ceiling.

Whenever you see him start to get tense, before he panics, get out his favorite
toys or treats and start engaging him in playing or obedience work.

And get your attic checked out. :}

---
Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
It's A Dog's Life
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums

Old November 30th 04, 04:42 PM
mr greg

(Leah) wrote in message ...
(mr greg) wrote:
[...]

Thank you Leah,
The weird thing is it is a brand new house, and I have been in the
attic, theres no animals as far as i know, and as for alarms, I dont
see any. It really seems to be shadows, but at night he really wants
to sleep under the bed. I cant figure it out, so I guess ill have to
keep distracting/praising him. I hope in time it works out!
Old December 1st 04, 03:03 AM
Spot

Have you had his eyes examined by the vet lately. If you really feel it's
shadows that seem to be triggering this maybe he is having vision problems.
Sometimes vision problems come on quickly and it might be this just happened
to occur at the same time you got the new house.

Celeste

"mr greg" wrote in message
om...