Underground Fences

Old November 30th 04, 11:09 PM
Dave Z

Default Underground Fences

You know those underground wire zap fence things? How is the general feel about
those? Do they work? Do they hurt the dog? Getting a normal fence is like 300$
for our lot, way to much over our budget. Also, is it safe to leave the dog
outside alone for a period of time with these fences?
Old November 30th 04, 11:22 PM
J1Boss

From: ospam (Dave Z)

You know those underground wire zap fence things? How is the general feel
about
those? Do they work? Do they hurt the dog?

The "zap" is a correction if the dog tries to cross the line. It's a training
device that is more precise than an owner with a long leash, teaching the
boundary. Most dogs trained to the fence never challenge the boundary, so
they aren't getting corrected after initial training (which involves border
markers to help the dog learn where that line is, as well as a "warning tone"
if getting too close).

That said, some dogs don't care about the correction and will go through if
motivated enough (which can be very little for some dogs). Some breeds do
better with it than others. A lot of the pointing breeds are known to blow
right through.

These devices don't do something that I consider important - keep other animals
and people OUT.

Getting a normal fence is like
300$
for our lot, way to much over our budget.

$300 or $3,000? Fences are expensive. Nothing says you have to fence your
whole lot if it's large.

Also, is it safe to leave the dog
outside alone for a period of time with these fences?

IMO, no. Too many possibilities for escape (I feel this way about "real"
fences as well - dogs spending time outside unsupervised can have a lot of
problems - from foul play to bad behavior). Vulnerability from outside (theft,
attacks from loose dogs, etc) is a huge factor, as are territorial issues.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old December 1st 04, 12:15 AM
culprit

"Dave Z" wrote in message
You know those underground wire zap fence things? How is the general feel
about
those? Do they work? Do they hurt the dog? Getting a normal fence is like
300$
for our lot, way to much over our budget. Also, is it safe to leave the
dog
outside alone for a period of time with these fences?

i have an invisible fence, and with installation and training it came to
about $3000. without the professional training, it probably won't work as
well.

it works fine for my dogs, but we had to do a lot of fine tuning to get each
of their collars set correctly. as others will note, it does NOT keep other
animals out, and some dogs will cross the line if they're really interested
in whatever is on the other side. our invisible fence is a stop gap until
we can finish building a real fence (a $12,000 prospect for our lot).

-kelly

No fences make good neighbors Chris Dog behavior 8 April 21st 04 07:02 PM
Invisible fences aynna Dog behavior 12 March 9th 04 07:46 PM
Invisible fences aynna Dog behavior 0 March 9th 04 08:59 AM
Invisible fences aynna Dog behavior 0 March 9th 04 08:59 AM
Invisible fences aynna Dog behavior 0 March 9th 04 08:59 AM