8 month old new puppy housebraking

Old December 1st 04, 02:35 AM
Monkeyman

Default 8 month old new puppy housebraking

I just saved a 8 mos old presa canario from being put down. He was
with an owner but he has hip issues from birth so the breeder got him
back. He was house broken and then he was back in the breeders kennel
for acouple of months so everything was lost. I am not really sure how
to where to start with the potty training. Any suggestions would be
much appreciated.
Old December 1st 04, 07:36 PM
Leah

(Monkeyman) wrote:
I just saved a 8 mos old presa canario from being put down.

Um... okay, we'll get back to that in a minute... :}

I am not really sure how
to where to start with the potty training. Any suggestions would be
much appreciated.

Start with him as if he were a brand new puppy:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/potty-training.html

Okay, back to the breed.

IMHO, your biggest concern with this dog is his socialization level. Do you
know if he has had any intensive socialization with all types of humans -
infants, toddlers, adults, elderly, people of all races, etc? Does he show any
sign of fear or discomfort around strangers?

I am admittedly not an expert on the breed - in fact, I wouldn't know one if I
saw one. However, from what I've heard, this is one of the few breeds of dogs
that tend towards aggression to humans as well as other dogs. In other words,
you know the scary reputation pit bulls have? This is the dog who deserves the
rep. :}

I'd watch his interactions with both strange humans and other dogs very, very
carefully. Especially at his age, when he's starting to lose his puppyness and
develop into an adult (and therefore less tolerant) dog. And also be very
careful of what messages *you* give him about strangers. If you're nervous,
you'll make him nervous. If you are not savvy about reading dog body language,
I'd suggest you start with Turid Rugaas' book called "Calming Signals."

I don't mean to alarm you, just ensure that you're aware of what you've got. :}

---
Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
It's A Dog's Life
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums