Christmas and Dogs

Old December 1st 04, 02:07 AM
MauiJNP

Default Christmas and Dogs

I have waited over 15 years for a dog of my own. In August, my puppy, Maui,
finally came home. Since then he has been spoiled and treated as a king. I
don't have kids or a husband so he is my main companion. We share a bed and
play for hours. Here's my question, this is his first Christmas and I get
so excited about buying him all kinds of stuff, a stocking, some new toys, a
car seat (to help with the carsickness) and treats. My sister and family
just laugh at me going all out for a dog. How do you guys do Christmas with
dogs? Do you buy them stuff? Wrap it? I know I want to wrap some treats
to see if he can sniff out his own on Christmas morning but beyond that,
what should I do? Thanks!

Old December 1st 04, 02:11 AM
Julia Altshuler

I don't do anything special for Xmas with my dog, but I see no harm in
it if you enjoy it. If you don't want your sister and other relatives
to laugh at you, don't tell them your plans. Any healthy treats are
fine. So is wrapping up presents. Your dog will probably enjoy a nice
romp outside as much as anything.

--Lia

Old December 1st 04, 02:20 AM
FurPaw

MauiJNP wrote:

I have waited over 15 years for a dog of my own. In August, my puppy, Maui,
finally came home. Since then he has been spoiled and treated as a king. I
don't have kids or a husband so he is my main companion. We share a bed and
play for hours. Here's my question, this is his first Christmas and I get
so excited about buying him all kinds of stuff, a stocking, some new toys, a
car seat (to help with the carsickness) and treats. My sister and family
just laugh at me going all out for a dog. How do you guys do Christmas with
dogs? Do you buy them stuff? Wrap it? I know I want to wrap some treats
to see if he can sniff out his own on Christmas morning but beyond that,
what should I do? Thanks!

Of course we buy them stuff! And wrap it! We wrap our dog's presents
in white tissue paper, to differentiate them from the rest of the
packages. Half of the fun is ripping the paper into little shredlets
.... oh, wait, is there a toy inside too?

When I was a kid, we had a chihuahua who caught on to this very quickly.
In full view, of course, he'd "sneak" over to the tree and pick up one
of his presents during the days before Christmas. We'd "catch" him and
make him put it back. Over and over. He never bothered any of the other
presents - except the year that my friend gave me a present wrapped in
white tissue paper.

FurPaw

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old December 1st 04, 02:47 AM
Rocky

MauiJNP said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

How do you guys do Christmas with
dogs?

Nothing special. My mom gives me treats to give to my dogs, but
as far as the dogs are concerned, Hmas day is way less important
than Agility day. Heh, me too.

Old December 1st 04, 03:46 AM
culprit

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I have waited over 15 years for a dog of my own. In August, my puppy,
Maui, finally came home. Since then he has been spoiled and treated as a
king. I don't have kids or a husband so he is my main companion. We share
a bed and play for hours. Here's my question, this is his first Christmas
and I get so excited about buying him all kinds of stuff, a stocking, some
new toys, a car seat (to help with the carsickness) and treats. My sister
and family just laugh at me going all out for a dog. How do you guys do
Christmas with dogs? Do you buy them stuff? Wrap it? I know I want to
wrap some treats to see if he can sniff out his own on Christmas morning
but beyond that, what should I do? Thanks!

do whatever makes you (and Maui) happy. i give my dogs birthday cakes and
xmas gifts. my cousins and friends, who also have dogs, exchange doggie
gifts with us. wrapping up treats is fun, because it makes the dogs work to
get to the good stuff.

who cares what other people think. :-)

-kelly

Old December 1st 04, 10:45 AM
Alison

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
[...]

Do what ever you want and enjoy it! Take no notice of your sister.
All my pets get wrapped Christmas presents, that includes the rabbits
too. My dog also gets presents from my neighbour and my sister's
family when we visit them.
Alison

Old December 1st 04, 01:01 PM
J1Boss

Nothing special. My mom gives me treats to give to my dogs, but
as far as the dogs are concerned, Hmas day is way less important
than Agility day. Heh, me too.

I generally get the dogs a new great bone, more to help occupy and destress
having 12 people over for dinner than anything else. Sometimes they get
another toy, but it's not like they're lacking in that department.

The best present they get is company, especially company that will throw balls
for them. franklin would prefer that those were ducks, but that probably won't
happen.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old December 1st 04, 06:11 PM
Rocky

J1Boss said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The best present they get is company, especially company
that will throw balls for them.

This may be the first Hmas that I stay home with my dogs, and
hopefully a few other dogs. I'm looking forward to low key.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
Spot

I agree with culpit do what ever makes you and your dog happy and who cares
what everyone else thinks. Here at our house the dogs & cats get toys,
treats, new blankets. They even sign the Christmas cards that get sent

Celeste