House Breaking Puppys

Old December 2nd 04, 09:26 PM
John

Default House Breaking Puppys

Hey All;

I know this is a loaded question that will probably give me numerous
opinions, so I will try to be as specific as I can.

I would like to know when and how I should house break puppies. My two
boys are almost 12 weeks. I have no intention of using a crate and as
winter is upon us, I would be more comfortable teaching them to use
newspaper in a specific spot or preferably a litter box with
woodchips/newspaper.

John

http://24.101.203.113/hollywood/
Old December 3rd 04, 12:52 AM
Leah

(John) wrote:
My two
boys are almost 12 weeks. I have no intention of using a crate and as
winter is upon us, I would be more comfortable teaching them to use
newspaper in a specific spot or preferably a litter box with
woodchips/newspaper.

Not a good idea. While you're trying to teach them that they're not supposed
to go inside, giving them an option to go inside can confuse the issue.

Since you don't want to use a crate, just substitute "puppy-proofed enclosed
area" for the crate instructions he
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/potty-training.html

---
Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
It's A Dog's Life
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums

Old December 3rd 04, 02:43 AM
Julia Altshuler

John wrote:
Hey All;

I know this is a loaded question that will probably give me numerous
opinions, so I will try to be as specific as I can.

I would like to know when and how I should house break puppies. My two
boys are almost 12 weeks. I have no intention of using a crate and as
winter is upon us, I would be more comfortable teaching them to use
newspaper in a specific spot or preferably a litter box with
woodchips/newspaper.

Dogs are creatures of habit. If you teach them to eliminate on paper or
a litter box (I call them both paper training), you'll have a horrible
time ever teaching them to eliminate outside (I call that
housetraining). Not impossible, just difficult as in really hard. The
principle of both paper training and house training is the same. You
put the pups on a schedule and take them to the appropriate spot when
you know they're about to go anyway. Then you praise like crazy when
they get it right. You clean up promptly and dispassionately when they
get it wrong. You don't have to use a crate if you don't want to.
Crates make it easier when you can't watch your pups every second, but
many a dog has been successfully housetrained without a crate.

I'd like to urge you to consider house training rather than paper
training no matter what the weather. In addition to its being easier in
the long run in terms of cleaning, walking dogs is fun. Playing with
dogs outside is fun. Sure it can be a bother putting on the galoshes
when the weather is nasty and you don't feel like it, but in the long
run, one of the great joys of having dogs is the romps outside. Don't
deprive either yourself or your dogs of that.

--Lia

Old December 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
Rocky

John said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have no intention of using a crate and as
winter is upon us, I would be more comfortable teaching
them to use newspaper in a specific spot or preferably a
litter box with woodchips/newspaper.

Why is winter stopping you from taking them outside?

Old December 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
John

Rocky wrote in message ...
John said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have no intention of using a crate and as
winter is upon us, I would be more comfortable teaching
them to use newspaper in a specific spot or preferably a
litter box with woodchips/newspaper.

Why is winter stopping you from taking them outside?

They are papillons, so they are small to start off with. We have
sliding glass doors leading off our bedroom to the backyard. This is
where I let Hollywood, the mom, out. The puppies seem very interested
in where she is going and either stare out the window at her and/or
paw at the window. So a few times I have carried them out when I let
their mother out and they just shake. Not sure if they are scaird or
cold. I read somewhere that even adult Paps pads are too small to
handle the cold ground. The cold can dry up their pads, cause them to
crack and is very painful for the dog. I figured for a puppy Pap it
would be worse. Although it is only negative single digits right now,
our winters can see -30 to -40 temperatures. So I figured for this
season to train them to go indoors in a designated are and then next
year, when they are bigger, outside, even if it is twice the work.
What do you think?

http://24.101.203.113/hollywood/
Old December 3rd 04, 05:24 PM
Rocky

John said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I figured for a puppy Pap it
would be worse. Although it is only negative single digits
right now, our winters can see -30 to -40 temperatures. So
I figured for this season to train them to go indoors in a
designated are and then next year, when they are bigger,
outside, even if it is twice the work. What do you think?

Your winters sound like the ones here. I don't have Paps, but I
know people who do, as well as people with Italian Greyhounds
and other breeds which don't do well in cold weather. In my
experience, if you had a sheltered spot in your yard where you
could carry your dogs, they'd be fine.

Papillons are very smart dogs - use this time while it's not
overly cold outside to train them to pee and poo on command,
that way they (and you) won't have to stay outside very long.

Old December 3rd 04, 05:39 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

(John) wrote in news:f83d0b6c.0412030856.6febe4c8
@posting.google.com:

They are papillons, so they are small to start off with. We have
sliding glass doors leading off our bedroom to the backyard. This is
where I let Hollywood, the mom, out. The puppies seem very interested
in where she is going and either stare out the window at her and/or
paw at the window. So a few times I have carried them out when I let
their mother out and they just shake. Not sure if they are scaird or
cold. I read somewhere that even adult Paps pads are too small to
handle the cold ground. The cold can dry up their pads, cause them to
crack and is very painful for the dog. I figured for a puppy Pap it
would be worse.

Hey John. Just my opinion. When you take the pups outside, play with them.
My dog Moogli (Shih-tzu/Min Schnauzer blend) doesn't like the cold a whole
lot, however, he loves to play in the snow. He runs, snowplows, spins and
looks at me with a muzzle full of snow.

As to their pads, this is the best time to start taking them out. Their
pads will develop a thickness to be able to handle the cold. You may never
be able to spend an hour or two in a stretch outside with them, but 20-30
minutes should be no problem. What you really have to be careful of is the
salt that they spread out on the snow and ice. That is something which is
pretty painful for them. That and slush. The slush that they walk through
will sap the heat from the body way faster than any amount of snow will do.

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old December 3rd 04, 05:50 PM
Gwen Watson

Rocky wrote:
John said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I figured for a puppy Pap it
would be worse. Although it is only negative single digits
right now, our winters can see -30 to -40 temperatures. So
I figured for this season to train them to go indoors in a
designated are and then next year, when they are bigger,
outside, even if it is twice the work. What do you think?

Your winters sound like the ones here. I don't have Paps, but I
know people who do, as well as people with Italian Greyhounds
and other breeds which don't do well in cold weather. In my
experience, if you had a sheltered spot in your yard where you
could carry your dogs, they'd be fine.

Papillons are very smart dogs - use this time while it's not
overly cold outside to train them to pee and poo on command,
that way they (and you) won't have to stay outside very long.

There are a lot of toy breeder owners that train their
toy breeds to use litter boxes. Just an option
I have heard if very doable for toy breeds.

Also John mentioned their pads of their feet. I know
mushers use this stuff for the pads of their dogs
feet. But I don't have the link handy.

Gwen

Old December 3rd 04, 07:18 PM
Rocky

Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Also John mentioned their pads of their feet. I know
mushers use this stuff for the pads of their dogs
feet.

IMO, the dogs' pads will be fine during the short time they'd be
outside.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:44 PM
Gwen Watson

Rocky wrote:
Gwen Watson said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Also John mentioned their pads of their feet. I know
mushers use this stuff for the pads of their dogs
feet.

IMO, the dogs' pads will be fine during the short time they'd be
outside.

I agree with that. I was mostly just suggesting
a product that helps with paw pads. I don't think
these paps are going to be out long enough
to need it but it wouldn't hurt either.

Gwen

House Breaking LuvMyPup Dogs - general 7 November 22nd 03 08:49 PM
house hunting (semi-OT) culprit Dog behavior 36 November 4th 03 01:44 AM
house hunting (semi-OT) culprit Dog behavior 0 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
house hunting (semi-OT) culprit Dog behavior 0 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
Another house breaking post (long) B&H Dog behavior 3 August 7th 03 11:36 PM