Very Stinky Lab Advice Needed

Old December 10th 04, 04:21 AM
Paula

Default Very Stinky Lab Advice Needed

I've heard all the comments on here about labs and their stinky
tendencies, but I guess I thought Punk's smell must come from the
non-lab part of her mix. Until today. She is so stinky I don't even
want her in the house. I am too soft hearted to kick her out
completely, but she does have to chill away from my bedroom. I
remember too much bathing could make it worse, but can't remember what
is good to try. Any help out there?

--
Paula
"I think I'm having the best childhood I've ever had!" ---Mimi
Old December 10th 04, 05:44 AM
Child

"Paula" wrote in message
I've heard all the comments on here about labs and their stinky
tendencies, but I guess I thought Punk's smell must come from the
non-lab part of her mix. Until today. She is so stinky I don't even
want her in the house. I am too soft hearted to kick her out
completely, but she does have to chill away from my bedroom. I
remember too much bathing could make it worse, but can't remember what
is good to try. Any help out there?

--
Paula

Bathing has always helped my stinky dogs.

Old December 10th 04, 02:47 PM
Cate

Paula wrote in

remember too much bathing could make it worse, but can't remember what
is good to try. Any help out there?

If your dog smells bad, a bath will not hurt her. Unless she's got some
medical condition for which you've been told to give her fewer baths.

I prefer this castile soap for bathing my lab:
http://www.drbronner.com/getsoap.html

You can get it at health food/whole food stores or online from the stores
listed at that url. It's not cheap, but it's concentrated so it lasts a
long time. I find it offers a good balance of stripping out dirt and that
greasy feel without stripping the hair of its oils. And the bonus is that
my dog smells like peppermint for a couple of days afterward. Other
fragrances are available.

Good luck.

Cate

Old December 10th 04, 05:23 PM
Tee

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 04:21:55 GMT, Paula
wrote:

I've heard all the comments on here about labs and their stinky
tendencies,

Labs do NOT have "stinky tendencies"!

You lost your sense of smell long ago didn't you?

They even smell good when they're wet!

Ack! You're nuts!

--
Tara

Old December 10th 04, 05:25 PM
Tee

"Paula" wrote in message
I've heard all the comments on here about labs and their stinky
tendencies, but I guess I thought Punk's smell must come from the
non-lab part of her mix. Until today. She is so stinky I don't even
want her in the house. I am too soft hearted to kick her out
completely, but she does have to chill away from my bedroom. I
remember too much bathing could make it worse, but can't remember what
is good to try. Any help out there?

Labs are naturally smelly but when they start reaking(sp) then its usually
the anal glands, ears or a skin problem. You can bathe her but definitely
check the ears with a few cottonballs and see how they come out. If you
don't mind sticking your nose in the general vicinity of the rear-end then
you should be able to tell if its an anal gland issue.

--
Tara

Old December 10th 04, 05:46 PM
Tee

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message

Perhaps you've been hanging around with a lower class of Lab?

E.g., a Lab mix?

I'm going to protect my 4-legged friends' feelings, and your calves from
their teeth, by not relaying your class remark.

Well, *that's* probably true (the being nuts part), but anyone who
doesn't appreciate, even ENJOY, the smell of wet dogs probably
shouldn't have a Lab in the first place.

I certainly agree with that.

Perhaps some frou-frou lapdog would be more to your liking?

Oh no, frou-frou dogs give me the willies.

I knew a long-haired Chihuahua (whose feet had *never* touched the
ground) once who smelled like she'd just fallen into a testing tank at
Chanel NÂș5's manufacturing plant outside Marseilles, France.

In fact, I think I can *still* smell her...

I'd classify that as owner abuse.

--
Tara

Old December 10th 04, 06:04 PM
Tee

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message

And I am not going to relay any of your "Lab's stink" remarks to my
own pack of ATTACK-trained (pure-bred) Labs, just to spare your life!

uh huh

See? We can agree on some things!

I won't tell anyone if you won't.

--
Tara

Old December 10th 04, 06:07 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote in
:

And I am not going to relay any of your "Lab's stink" remarks to my
own pack of ATTACK-trained (pure-bred) Labs, just to spare your life!

Yeah, everyone needs to worry about being killed by labs dropping things to
throw on you. Or is it the trampling by the stampede to get prime petting
position...

--
Marcel and Moogli