light up dog toy?

Old December 11th 04, 08:00 PM
MauiJNP

Default light up dog toy?

My dog loves chasing flashlights and light up balls that my nephews have.
Do they make such a thing for dogs? Thanks.

Old December 11th 04, 08:37 PM
Tara

MauiJNP wrote:

My dog loves chasing flashlights and light up balls that my nephews have.
Do they make such a thing for dogs? Thanks.

They do, although any laser light would do.

A BIG word of caution: this type of toy can lead very easily to
obsessive and sometimes neurotic behaviors in dogs. I won't use them at
all.

Tara
Old December 11th 04, 08:51 PM
Rocky

Tara said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

My dog loves chasing flashlights and light up balls that
my nephews have. Do they make such a thing for dogs?
Thanks.

They do, although any laser light would do.

A BIG word of caution: this type of toy can lead very
easily to obsessive and sometimes neurotic behaviors in
dogs. I won't use them at all.

I stay away from laser pointers, but I like the light up balls
which light only when bounced. Two feet of snow at night, it's
great entertainment watching the dogs scramble for the ball.

Old December 12th 04, 01:10 AM
Fran Bragg

"Tara" wrote in message
MauiJNP wrote:

My dog loves chasing flashlights and light up balls that my nephews have.
Do they make such a thing for dogs? Thanks.

They do, although any laser light would do.

A BIG word of caution: this type of toy can lead very easily to
obsessive and sometimes neurotic behaviors in dogs. I won't use them at
all.

Tara

Tara, could you elaborate on this? I've used a laser light for both my dogs
and cats for play. Careful not to shine in their eyes but other than that
have never heard of it being harmful or causing neuroses! Is it the fact
that they never "catch" it?

Thanks
Fran

Old December 12th 04, 01:27 AM
Rocky

Melanie L Chang said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

I couldn't convince him to chase it again. "That ball is
WRONG, Mom."

Heh. I only use it in the snow, mainly because I think it looks
cool flashing in the drifts. Plus, even though *I* can see
them, normal balls are pretty well invisible to the dogs once
they're buried.

Old December 12th 04, 01:37 AM
fatbak

Not exactly the same, but Zoot loves her Buddy Glow Ball. It's rubber, a
little bigger than a tennis ball, and glows in the dark. Of course, you
have to expose it to light for a few minutes to get it glowing. It's a
hoot to see this glowing ball coming closer and closer across the yard!
I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $5 or $6; I think I've seen
them at KMart too.

Irene

Old December 12th 04, 01:58 AM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities MauiJNP wrote:
My dog loves chasing flashlights and light up balls that my nephews have.
Do they make such a thing for dogs? Thanks.

They do - but the more your dog enjoys it the bigger risk it is for you to
use it. It can encourage obsessive behavior and that is really something
you don't want. Often the dog progresses to things you can't control -
e.g. flashes of light from keys or a reflection from eye glasses. I have
known people to use it as a reward without a problem - but I've also seen
dogs unable to take a normal walk on a sunny day because they are spending
all their time looking for moving light spots. It is cute, but it quickly
turns to unfunny.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/