Black lab memory ?

Old December 13th 04, 11:43 PM
Phinz

Default Black lab memory ?

I will be going overseas to work in Hong Kong for 1 year. Unfortunately
for various reasons (main reason is that they EAT dogs) I will not be
able to take my 2 year old blacklab.I have made arrangements to fly him
from Arizona to Florida where my family lives, and they will take care
of him. My question is...will he forget me by the time I get back? Any
suggestions??
Thanks

Old December 14th 04, 12:40 AM
Tee

"Phinz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I will be going overseas to work in Hong Kong for 1 year. Unfortunately
for various reasons (main reason is that they EAT dogs) I will not be
able to take my 2 year old blacklab.I have made arrangements to fly him
from Arizona to Florida where my family lives, and they will take care
of him. My question is...will he forget me by the time I get back? Any
suggestions??
Thanks

Possibly. I know that dogs I had for fostering, some staying as long as 6
months and being velcro-dogs have seen me since adoption and seem to not
remember me much, if at all. Two particular cases are of dogs I adopted to
my sister, at different times, and both have come back to my house for
visits but they act like they don't know us. They remembered the house &
yard and they may remember us but no longer view us as their people so the
affection/excitement isn't there for them. However it may be different in
Labs and/or in the fact that you've had him for 2 years.

--
Tara

Old December 14th 04, 01:01 AM

I understand your concern - also when taking a dog overseas, sometimes
they are put in quarantine for months. - I had a Chinese American
teacher in high school who told a story about his dog "Blackie" - his
family was visiting relatives in mainland China and decided to take the
dog with them. The dog dissapeared in a week - turns out, one of the
neighbors ate him.

HK may not be that bad (I lived in Asia for 8 years), though I'd worry
about the dog escaping and running into other problems. Good for you
for keeping him in the US.

Old December 14th 04, 02:31 AM
BluHeelrTX

Leah wrote:

"Phinz" wrote:
My question is...will he forget me by the time I get back?

Nah! He'll most likely be so excited to see you that he'll pee all over you.

---
Family Dog Trainer
"It's A Dog's Life"
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Get Healthy, Build Your Immune System, Lose Weight
http://www.re-vita.net/dfrntdrums

Earlier this year while dropping my two off at the kennel for my second
long trip in two months, my ACD decided to take care of that
beforehand. I was handing the leash to the kennel guy and looked down
just in time to see him looking me in the face and peeing on my shoe. I
guess he told me how he felt about it. I had to sit on a plane for 11
hours in those shoes (fortunately they rinsed off OK).

--
Jason
Old December 16th 04, 01:52 AM
montana wildhack

On 2004-12-13 18:43:52 -0500, "Phinz" said:

I will be going overseas to work in Hong Kong for 1 year. Unfortunately
for various reasons (main reason is that they EAT dogs) I will not be
able to take my 2 year old blacklab.I have made arrangements to fly him
from Arizona to Florida where my family lives, and they will take care
of him. My question is...will he forget me by the time I get back? Any
suggestions??
Thanks

Our late Spencer & Tracy, along with the still living Duchess of
Doodle, used to live with my (now) DH & his (then) GF. They split up
and she moved out and she didn't see those dogs for at least four years
(and probably more). When they finally saw her again, they were really
happy because she had loved them and they loved her. It was a very
happy reunion. I think Tracy (our big Black Lab mix) would have loved
to go home with her, but he couldn't, so we arranged to have the ex
visit more frequently.

I don't believe your dog will forget you.

belgians Jo Wolf Dog breeds 3 March 24th 04 01:10 AM
Black & flakey skin on Golden Retriver [email protected] Dog health 2 December 6th 03 08:15 PM
Black boxer genetics? BonnieTheCollie Dog breeds 26 November 3rd 03 09:59 PM
black vomit? Larry Mormino Dog health 4 August 15th 03 03:42 PM
black vomit? Larry Mormino Dog health 0 August 15th 03 01:35 AM