Budding Problem?

Old December 14th 04, 09:04 PM
Suja

Default Budding Problem?

I've been thinking about posting this, and can't remember if I did.
Yes, it's been that kind of month (couple of months, actually). I am
worried about Pan's behavior, and don't know what to do. I'm fairly
certain that if it keeps going, we will eventually have a real problem
on our hands.

As y'll may remember, Pan has SA. Her previous owner worked on behavior
mod in conjunction with Clomicalm to work her through it, and she was
fine for a while, until there were changes in schedule, and that's how
she came to us. Just like she was with her previous person, she is
supremely attached to me, and I think that this one is slowly starting
to head into the twilight zone again.

DH walks the dogs in the morning. In the beginning, she would run
downstairs with Khan, and go for walks with him. Over the past couple
of months, she would stay in bed with me as long as possible, and only
go downstairs when Rajesh calls. Over the past month, she would stand
upstairs, and it took some coaxing from him to get her to go downstairs.
Then last week, she just didn't go for a walk. Basically, she was
downstairs, DH yelled out a question to which I mumbled an answer, and
as soon as she heard my voice, she ran upstairs, and then refused to go
for a walk. Same thing has happened twice since. Once, she even
stopped eating to come to me.

Other than this, there are no problems with her. She gets mopey when I
am not around and utterly ecstatic when she sees me, but I've left her
home alone with Khan without any problems. She has been home by herself
for an hour or two with no problems. If both Khan and I are not home,
she gets quite whiney, and gives poor Rajesh a hard time.

I have no idea what the hell we're supposed to do. Any ideas?

Suja

P.S. Standard SA behavior mod protocols have been followed.
Old December 14th 04, 09:53 PM
Suja

ceb wrote:

Maybe she would like a doggie sweater and some booties for her tender
feets.

Nah, she'll go out and stay out for as long as I'm out there. We go on
long hikes, and the cold has never been a problem for her. We did
attempt to put a doggie jacket on her, but she seems to think of it as a
tug toy. She will bend her head and grab it near her chest, pull it out
over her head, toss it in the air and play with it.

Suja
Old December 15th 04, 01:07 AM
Suja

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

Suja, I read your post. Then I read it again. Unless I'm missing
something (and I always somehow do that with you), I don't see no
steenkin' "problem" worth worrying your probably very pretty little
head about.

Perhaps precedent is what is missing here. In her previous home, she
started with this sort of stuff. It progressed to 'I won't eat unless
mommy is RIGHT HERE with me'. The moment her human stepped out of
touching range, she would stop eating and rush off to be by her side.
The owner couldn't go to the bathroom and shut the door, because a
certain whiny dog was on the other side, pawing at it. She has messed
her feet up doing this. She has also cut open her mouth, attempting to
chew through a door to get to mom. When she came to me, she had very
little coat. Her previous vet and current one chalked it up to 'stress
shedding'. I could go on and on.

What I am worried about is that this is not behavior she has exhibited
when she was stable. This is behavior she has exhibited when she
started going down that slippery slope. This IS a step backward for
this dog. Last time it was let go without intervention, it got bad
enough to the point where she had to be rehomed. That won't happen
here, but we really want to avoid going back to step one and starting
with the meds and behavior modification exercises.

I am not expecting anyone to give me an answer to this. What I would
like to hear is ideas on what I may be doing wrong to contribute to
this. Or maybe there is really nothing wrong, and I am reading too much
into her behaviors, in which case I need to hear that as well.

Suja
Old December 16th 04, 07:12 AM
Paula

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:07:54 -0500, Suja wrote:

That won't happen
here, but we really want to avoid going back to step one and starting
with the meds and behavior modification exercises.

You might not have to go back to step one, but you might have to
reinstate some of what you have given up. I work with kids with
issues more than dogs with issues these days, but I see a lot of kids
who just aren't able to wean completely off meds and some behavioral
interventions. You try them and they work and then you come to the
point where it seems you can wean them off and if it works, fine. But
if she is going backward, then you may have to go back on them short
term or long term. Especially when it comes to medicine, it is hard
to say how long any particular human or animal will need to be on
various meds. Rather than worry about formulas that can only be
guidelines, I advocate worrying about watching the results and
consequences. Since she is getting a little more whiny and clingy,
you may not need to go back to square one, but you might try taking a
step or two back and seeing if she needs to plateau there for a while
longer before she moves on. Even if she needs to stay there for a
long time, what matters is that it be under enough control to give you
both peaceful lives, whatever level of help it takes to get her there
or keep her there. Anxiety disorders are horrible things to live with
for the sufferer. Whatever she needs to get relief, I think she
should get.

--
Paula
"I think I'm having the best childhood I've ever had!" ---Mimi