meet the neighbors!

Old December 15th 04, 02:47 AM
culprit

Default meet the neighbors!

i'm a bad doggie mom. i forgot to change the batteries in the IF collars.
since the dogs have always been overly respective of the boundaries, it just
slipped my mind to check the calendar. anyway, Manu decided it was time to
meet some of the neighbors. must be the holiday spirit.

i was watching him do his thing in the back of the property (sniff, paw,
sniff, mark. rinse, lather, repeat). then he sniffed at the path that
Bandit (the back neighbor's GSD) uses to skirt our yard and visit the other
neighbor's Lab. Suddenly, he was no longer sniffing the path, he was
following it. and as i called him, he promptly went deaf.

i had Lola on a leash, so we tracked him through Bandit's farm, where we
watched as Manu went up to the door and scratched at it to be let in (sigh).
no one answered, so he moved on up the driveway towards the llamas across
the street.
we followed him up that neighbor's driveway, and Manu went right up to the
fence. the goats circled into a nice little flock and headed towards the
gate at the opposite end of the pasture (guess they've been trained by the
resident BC). the llamas, however, came right up to Manu and stuck their
heads over the fence for a sniff.
Manu went nuts. he playbowed, kidney beaned, wagged his butt so hard i
thought he'd break something. at that point, Lola and i finally reached
him. he was all excited, thinking the whole thing was a game. that's when
the owner of the farm came out and said, "is that a pit bull? does he
bite?" i said no, and she said, "if he gets into that pen, i don't know
what the llamas will do to him, but it probably won't be pretty."
then she said, "kelly? is that you?" turns out she used to be my coworker.
here we are, neighbors, and not evening knowing it. what a way to get
reacquainted.

anyway, i leashed up Manu, then the neighbor's BC came outside and we had to
go.

so Manu had a wonderful adventure, Lola got to pretend to go tracking, and i
replaced the batteries in the collars, and set an alarm on my cell phone to
remind me of the next date.

(yeah, yeah, IF's suck, i know. working on Manu's selective deafness and
the real fence and all that)

-kelly

Old December 15th 04, 03:30 AM
Rocky

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

(yeah, yeah, IF's suck, i know. working on Manu's
selective deafness and the real fence and all that)

I understand why you're making light of it. But still, recall
is the Most Important Thing.

Old December 15th 04, 03:40 AM
culprit

"Rocky" wrote in message

I understand why you're making light of it. But still, recall
is the Most Important Thing.

it was great until recently. he's just come into his terrible two's, i
think. he went from the "easy dog", to a total PITA. i know we need to do
some long line work, but it's been about 4 degrees Celsius and raining, and
i'm really starting to look like a whiny wuss here, aren't i?

*sigh*

i need to be doing more training with just him, give him a job and all that.
my schedule makes it difficult, but i will just have to try harder.

-kelly

Old December 15th 04, 12:51 PM
J1Boss

Kelly writes:

i'm really starting to look like a whiny wuss here, aren't i?

Yup! ;-D

*sigh*

i need to be doing more training with just him, give him a job and all that.
my schedule makes it difficult, but i will just have to try harder.

-kelly

It's amazing what you can incorporate into your normal, daily routine with a
dog. Don't think of it as having to set aside time, think of what you can do
in the context of necessary outings, feedings, etc. Be creative and you can
get a lot of work in.

I'm the great and lazy procrastinator who is really bad at sqeezing things in,
and feels I need a whole chunk of time to get things accomplished. I KNOW it
isn't true, but that's me anyway. When it comes to the dogs though, every
interaction is a training opportunity.

Of course, I also go stand out in cold and rain and muck and throw dead ducks
around, JUST for my dog, so maybe I'm a total lunatic after all! ;-D

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old December 15th 04, 01:28 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"J1Boss" wrote in message
Of course, I also go stand out in cold and rain and muck and throw dead

ducks
around, JUST for my dog, so maybe I'm a total lunatic after all! ;-D

Yep.

Of course, I don't throw dead ducks...I just let my dog herd them around
a small pasture.

Shelly (A Native PacNW'er with a nearly all gore-tex Christmas list)
& The Boys

Old December 15th 04, 03:32 PM
KWBrown

"culprit" wrote in
:

i know we need to do
some long line work, but it's been about 4 degrees Celsius and
raining, and i'm really starting to look like a whiny wuss here,
aren't i?

This, truly, is one of life's mysteries. Why is 4 and raining colder than
-5 and clear? Even at night, when "clear" doesn't get you any sunshine?

I've been deliberately training in the rain, because it means that a few of
the parks where I work are clear of casual dog-walkers. I'd much rather
have a cold, hard frost to work in, but I guess that's what you get when
you live on the Wet Coast, where people don't tan: they rust.

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old December 15th 04, 03:39 PM
KWBrown

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

Of course, I don't throw dead ducks...I just let my dog herd them around
a small pasture.

Don't you have some difficulty getting the dead ones to move very much?

--
Kate, who would very much like some Gore-Tex camo pants from Cabela's for
Christmas
Old December 16th 04, 11:46 AM
Diana

"KWBrown" wrote in message
. 4...
"culprit" wrote in
:

[..]

I've been deliberately training in the rain, because it means that a few

of
the parks where I work are clear of casual dog-walkers. I'd much rather
have a cold, hard frost to work in, but I guess that's what you get when
you live on the Wet Coast, where people don't tan: they rust.

Sounds like England!

I LOVE walking in the rain - you get the world to yourself, you still have
to keep your eyes peeled but still, invariably the fair weather dog walkers
with the labs they allow to jump all over you are snug indoors; there are no
trials bikers out in the fields (these kids are a pita as they think its fun
wind the dogs up and try and get them to chase the bikes around the field -
not funny if you haven't heard them first and haven't had time to leash up,
and not funny if you have leashed up and you have a dog raring to chase
regardless of you being on the other end of the leash) and there are fewer
horse about - which all in all makes walking a high octane adolescent
weimaraner a lot lighter work.... and the weimaraner coat is virtually wipe
clean, so all I have to worry about is my muddy boots when I get home.

Diana & Cin

--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old December 16th 04, 02:33 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"KWBrown" wrote in message
. 4...
"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

Of course, I don't throw dead ducks...I just let my dog herd them around
a small pasture.

Don't you have some difficulty getting the dead ones to move very much?

hehehehe...you know, the minute I sent that off I knew *someone* would
make that comment...grin

--
Kate, who would very much like some Gore-Tex camo pants from Cabela's for

Christmas

Oh yeah, well okay, I'd settle for the black ones (sheep don't need
camo!). What I *really* want from Cabela's is one of the polar weight
waffle thermal underwear shirts! My husband has one & I've worn
it a few times. It is SO very warm, I can only imagine what one that
actually fits properly (his is too big) is like!

and Storm the FCR, who would rather not put her precious bottom down in

the icy swamp, but for whom no rain pants are manufactured.

Commiserations from Bodhi, who although admits he'd look awfully silly
in a waterproof boonie hat, wishes there was something out there to keep the
rain out of his ears!
Shelly & The Boys

Old December 16th 04, 02:46 PM
J1Boss

and Storm the FCR, who would rather not put her precious bottom down in
the icy swamp, but for whom no rain pants are manufactured.

Commiserations from Bodhi, who although admits he'd look awfully silly
in a waterproof boonie hat, wishes there was something out there to keep the
rain out of his ears!

Franklin says "wimpy black dogs"! I haven't found water too cold, rain too
hard, or weather too nasty for him to just go on with his activities. OTOH, he
hates the heat (but loves the fireplace, go figure!). Actually, I'm like that
myself.

He does have a lovely neoprene "wetsuit", but that definitely doesn't cover his
butt.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

neighbors' St. Bernard barking at night, ideas to help? Ann Dog behavior 0 June 27th 04 02:08 AM
Bloody Neighbors shelly Dog behavior 144 February 3rd 04 11:51 PM
Bloody Neighbors shelly Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 03:19 PM
Bloody Neighbors shelly Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 03:19 PM
Bloody Neighbors shelly Dog behavior 0 January 25th 04 03:19 PM