Puppy won't pee outside

Old December 16th 04, 04:22 AM
Fred Finisterre

Default Puppy won't pee outside

He's been going for walks for 2 or 3 weeks but hasn't pee'd or poo'd oustide
yet. Only on the newspaper in our home. If he's out, he'll wait till he gets
home, then rush to the paper to do his business.

Any ideas? He's 4 months old.

Fred.

Old December 16th 04, 04:28 AM
Tee

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
He's been going for walks for 2 or 3 weeks but hasn't pee'd or poo'd
oustide
yet. Only on the newspaper in our home. If he's out, he'll wait till he
gets
home, then rush to the paper to do his business.

Any ideas? He's 4 months old.

You've inadvertantly taught him that the only good place to eliminate is on
the paper, in your house. Be very vigilant and watch him indoors. When you
see him heading for the newspaper, call his name then scoop him outdoors.
Don't yell out because you'll scare him and he'll think he did something
bad.

Once outside, stay with him. Tell him to go "potty" or some other keyword
you'd like to use. As soon as he starts to squat (or hike his leg)
immediately begin & repeat "good boy potty!" in a happy voice. As soon as
he's finished give him a treat...while still outside.

--
Tara

Old December 16th 04, 04:31 AM
culprit

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
He's been going for walks for 2 or 3 weeks but hasn't pee'd or poo'd
oustide
yet. Only on the newspaper in our home. If he's out, he'll wait till he
gets
home, then rush to the paper to do his business.

Any ideas? He's 4 months old.

you need to train him to go outside. because you trained him to go on paper
when he was younger, that's where he wants to go.

when you see him heading for his paper, scoop him up, take him outside, and
stand there, with him on a leash, until he goes. then praise him and give
him a treat. do this every time he heads for the paper. if you he goes
before you can catch him, just pretend nothing happened, and ignore him.
soon, he'll be looking forward to going outside, because of the treats.
after he is going outside regularly, you can get rid of the paper.

it also helps if you associate a word or phrase with the act, like "go
potty", or "do your business". that way he'll learn to do it on command
eventually.

-kelly

Old December 16th 04, 12:52 PM
flick

Fred Finisterre wrote:

He's been going for walks for 2 or 3 weeks but hasn't pee'd or poo'd oustide
yet. Only on the newspaper in our home. If he's out, he'll wait till he gets
home, then rush to the paper to do his business.

Any ideas? He's 4 months old.

Fred.

If he were my dog, I'd put paper outside for him to
begin the transfer process. I'd place some of his
waste on or very near that paper. "See, here is where
you should put your doo-doo." I would place this at
the far end of the yard, not near the door (see last
paragraph).

Also, make sure he doesn't have any *opportunity* to go
inside. That might mean crating him sometimes, or
leashing him so he's near you and you can watch for the
signs that he has to eliminate.

Make sure you take him for a walk, or let him out,
after a meal - at 4 months, he will not be able to hold
it in forever. Then once he goes outdoors, praise,
praise, praise. You'll need to walk him long enough to
accomplish this, even if it takes an hour.

Most dogs would rather not eliminate real close to
their "den," an instinct that works in your favor to
re-train him to go outdoors, which is presumably
farther from his den than anywhere indoors.

flick 100785