Yellow Lab and shedding

Old June 27th 04, 01:10 AM
Mundy Pond

Default Yellow Lab and shedding

We have a beautiful, intelligent Yellow Lab. She is about 110 lbs. Not fat
but big! Never overfed...only 3 - 4 cups of dry dog food a day. The one
concern we have is the awful shedding from the dog. Every day we have to
sweep a lot of hair off our laminate flooring. She's brushed just about
every day. We have changed former dog food Old Roy to Canidae ($57.00 CDN )
for a 15kg bag in the hope it will reduce shedding. Didn't work. Any
suggestions.

Old June 29th 04, 08:01 AM
Jo Wolf

You have a Labrador Retriever... and that means that you have a dog that
is a heavy shedder. This is normal for all Labs. It's what they do,
besides retrieving. grin And it's worst in the spring. The shedding
is managed by regular grooming.

You might want to try beginning your grooming sessions with a Zoom
Groom... a long-fingered rubbery device.... This is rubbed over the
dog... I'd do it in sections... in a series of circular motions, the
tips of the device deep in the coat, down to the skin. This will loosen
dead coat and make it easy to remove with with a tight -toothed comb or
fine wired slicker brush. Comb or brush with the direction of hair
growth and against that direction...

Stick with a good quality food. It's important for health of the dog...
Don't go back to your original brand. Almost anything is better than
that one.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia