Minpin advice please?

Old July 11th 04, 07:33 PM
Bob

Default Minpin advice please?

Hi

Student of mine has a MinPin, she is about 1.3 years old and she had a
pretty bad bout lately, if I give the scenario can anyone please advise?

First off, she was given a pigs ear (relationship to problem unknown),
didn't eat near 5% of it but licked it pretty good and a day later she was
very different, slower, she was let outside and stayed out about an hour or
90min and came in very cold and very slow. She then began vomiting and
diaherria very bloody. She was raced to the vet, they started an IV and
started antibiotics and the cost for the student began to rise. The visit to
the first vet was 500. cdn, so at 6pm the student had to take to the 24hour
clinic so she got me involved. I drove the dog with IV in a very comatose
state to the 24hour emergency clinic (which is owned by the independent
vets) at 6pm, no vet. So an hour later the vet arrived and looked at Minnpin
and gave the student the estimate, 1500 plus taxes and a ceiling of 3000 but
condition still unknown. I looked at all the estimate for the student and
didn't allow the duplication for such things like xray (taken at first vet,
no metal inside) and the IV bag because the dog simply probably couldn't
take the 1000ml that was in the first bag (120.00). So the student selected
to put a ceiling of 600 for expenses (Cdn.). The dog has had all shots by a
vet already as a pup. The dog had a good night under their care, the dog did
have one diaheria little bloody and next approx 18 hours really nothing. Dog
still very droggy. So they gave antibiotics over night and 6pm I went to
pick dog back up. I only allowed the student to pay 100.00 for this as they
originally estimated 1500 but they did no diagnostic test which were 300
each, Parvo, culture, skin, blood work, a few others but if those tests
turned out positive then the treatment went into the 3000 range, so we
decided no tests because exceeded the student's range.
Now, the dog went home with the student (student's real home on other side
of world) but they are home now, penicillin every 12 hours, dog ate some
canned dog food supplied by vet and mixed well with water (to replace some
fluids).
Today the dog is very tired, goes for little walks up the street and back,
eats very little but does eat. Last night when arrived to the home the dog
ate but vomited it all up, no blood. She did a dump in the back yard and
mostly air came out but stunk the entire back yard. Brown liquidy spray
almost like came out and very strong smell, some air with it.
Today again she is very slow and tired and not her regular spunky self. The
student cannot afford the costs of everything the vets asked for as the
probability of survival was very very low according to vet, but problem
still unknown.
Does anyone have any advice or questions to help with advising this student?
She really cannot spend anymore money and the vet will not go further with
diagnostic testing, cultures, bloodwork unless 500 down and that would make
her to have spent 1000 already, she simply cannot.
I apologies for long description and hope I covered everything and I am sure
because the student is in very nice neighbourhood and nice people, nobody
poisoned. Also suspected that dog might have eaten a hair clip that is
plastic, it is not confirmed and not on x-ray.
I will post on other groups related to dogs and hope no group moderators
have concerns if so I sincerely apologize, I look for any help or answers or
advice possible to help the student.
Thank you so much in advance for any opinions or suggestions.

Bob

Old July 13th 04, 11:28 AM
Heather Morrison

"Bob" wrote in message
Update on the dog,,,

She has eaten probably 8 small portions of the vet's canned medi dog food
mixed very slushy with water, she is going for walks and chasing the
squirrels in the back yard and haven't seen a poop today (she doesn't

think
and she watched her pretty good she claims).
Seems to be still very tired, sleeps a little bit more than normal,

because
she would sleep a lot before.
Does anyone still think a possibility of parvo? Does parvo typically let
their hosts continue to eat and look almost normal again after the near
death situation that she went through for two days? After reading up some

see that the IV treatment obviously saved her life, if it were the parvo

the
high risk part was the loss of fluid and shock. She had been left outside

long time to and she was physically pretty cold. I understand that parvo
lasts a long time around the house, impossible to get it all and it grows.
Anyway, my friend is very happy, very tired but very happy.

Bob,

It actually sounds like the dog had pancreatitis - an acute case. I have
seen a few dogs suffer this and it is terrible. Usually it is brought on in
the acute attacks by ingesting high fat substances ( the fudge and milk).

Check out this website -
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/s...cle.cfm?id=399

My brother has a Jack Russell that had this in the fall. Two months of not
knowing whether he would make and a $7000 vet bill in the end...he is a
happy bouncy boy today on a VERY restricted diet.

We had another Jack that had it and was in the vets for four days straight
under IV etc. He made it and bounced back quickly but we had to keep a
strict eye on what he ate.

Even though the minpin is feeling better I would be putting the dog on a
restricted low fat diet and monitor all his eating. Once a dog has had a
pancreatic attack it is much easier for it to have another one.

Good luck to your student friend and make sure she knows to NEVER feed a dog
chocolate.

toodles

HeatherM

Old July 14th 04, 06:51 AM
Ruthie

Bob, I don't think the Minpin had Parvo. She would not have bounced back
as quickly as she did. I suspect a combination of the pig ear and the
chocolate caused the problems. Pig ears are very high in fat! My dogs
get them occasionally, and they always cause, at least, gas. They
usually give my smallest (25 lbs.) one the squirts - but she always eats
the whole thing.

...when we dropped off the dog there
was no vet, the vet didn't show for another hour, so I told them to change
the name to 23hour emergency animal care.

LOL! How true!

all
close at 6pm and when we were there at the 24hour place, all of a sudden all
these transfers came in.

I understand your first reaction about the captive market. But if these
critters had not come to the "24 hr" place, they would have been alone
overnight in the other clinics, without medical care or observation. So
this is a good thing.

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan cat earthlink dog net