Beds for dogs with hip problems

Old July 12th 04, 11:14 PM
RedFox

Default Beds for dogs with hip problems

Has anyone seen studies on the best beds for large dogs - like a Border
Collie - with bad hips?

Medical "science" for decades claimed that a firm bed was best for people
with bad backs. Recently this was debunked and now a softER bed is
recommended.

Costco sells round pet beds about 3' across that is filled with what looks
like spun polypropylene or similar. Initially the bed filling is uniform and
about 6" high which squashes to about an inch but it tends to go lumpy after
a couple of months. It seems to me that the filling needs to be different -
like a medium density plastic foam. Anyone know of such a bed? Maybe I
should go to an upholsterer and have one made. Should be no more trouble
than making a cushion for a big armchair. Or buy the foam slab and put it in
a big pillowcase.

TIA

RF

Old July 13th 04, 01:28 AM
Spot

I found the best bed & cheapest by far is to get one of those egg crate foam
toppers that you put on your bed. I buy a queen size topper twice a year
split it into 4 pieces then stack 2 pieces together and fold a clean sheet
or polar fleece around it for my dogs. When the sheet gets dirty take it
off and wash it up like you do anything else. You can wash these foam
pieces if you want but you can't agitate them or they shred. I find it just
easiest to throw them out every 6 months and get the dogs new ones.

Celeste

k.net...

Old July 13th 04, 01:52 AM
Rick A

Spot wrote:

I found the best bed & cheapest by far is to get one of those egg crate foam
toppers that you put on your bed. I buy a queen size topper twice a year
split it into 4 pieces then stack 2 pieces together and fold a clean sheet
or polar fleece around it for my dogs. When the sheet gets dirty take it
off and wash it up like you do anything else. You can wash these foam
pieces if you want but you can't agitate them or they shred. I find it just
easiest to throw them out every 6 months and get the dogs new ones.

Celeste

"RedFox" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

I went out and bought a crib mattress made out of a firm foam. They are
plastic lined and fairly inexpensive ($30+ at Walmart)

Rick