Welsh Terrier running away

Old December 24th 04, 04:11 PM

Default Welsh Terrier running away

We are very interested in getting a Welsh Terrier as a pet. The only
drawback of the breed is that they can just runaway after a rabbit or
some other prey and never come back. This would mean that we would
never be able to take them to an open field and have them run. I have
never owned a dog but I think this is something that I would like to do
with the dog but I just don't know. I would like to hear from other
Welsh Terrier owners to hear if they miss doing this activity with
their dog.
Thanks.
Sam

Old December 28th 04, 10:14 PM
Pacifika

Hi, i (my parents) have WT and we can let her run. You should go to
obedience classes when he or she is a puppy and there will be no
problem with that.
Sorry for my bad English
Tihana

Old December 29th 04, 01:46 AM
Dreamspinner3

Having owned Welsh Terriers since 1996, I can tell you that one was a
"runner" and one was not. By "runner" I mean that he was very likely
to chase after something he perceived as prey, which is what Terriers
in general are bred to do. My other WT never chased after anything
except the neighbor's black cat along the fence line, and then only
once in a great while.

All Terriers were and are bred to hunt small game such as rodents,
foxes, and similar creatures. Terriers have a high prey drive but
individual dogs will vary. You might end up with a WT like mine who
was so mellow--for a Terrier--that everyone thought we drugged him!

Obedience training certainly helps with ANY type of dog...but with
Terriers, you need to be more aware of what is going on around them
because of their prey drive.

For really good information on Welsh Terriers, I suggest you join the
Welsh Terrier mailing list:

Good luck!

On 24 Dec 2004 08:11:07 -0800, wrote:

We are very interested in getting a Welsh Terrier as a pet. The only
drawback of the breed is that they can just runaway after a rabbit or
some other prey and never come back. This would mean that we would
never be able to take them to an open field and have them run. I have
never owned a dog but I think this is something that I would like to do
with the dog but I just don't know. I would like to hear from other
Welsh Terrier owners to hear if they miss doing this activity with
their dog.
Thanks.
Sam

-----