scratching

Old December 26th 04, 08:53 PM
K...........

Default scratching

Hi there,

My son and I have a 12 month old Maltese terrier. He's wonderful and is
learning heaps.

We noticed a month ago that he was starting to scratch a bit, we live in
Sydney Australia and being in summer I figured he was attracting fleas.

I've treated him with frontline, and we can't see any fleas on him but he is
still scratching like crazy. I'm concerned that he may have an allergy or
similar.

I'll take him to the vet after the public holidays I'm just wondering if
anyone else has had a similar experience.

thanks,

Kulander.

Old December 27th 04, 12:20 AM
CCDOX

a 12 month old Maltese terrier.

My friend's Maltese has a lot of allergies (I think that white dogs tend to be
this way, but I have no scientific data to back that up!) Our regular vet
prescribed a course of Prednisone, which isn't good for long-term use, so he
referred her to a vet dermatologist. Even with the meds she is on, the dog
still chews on her foot a lot.
Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund
Old December 27th 04, 03:28 AM
Marshall Dermer

In article 1104094415.5fc900085c70825e56fc909c75b8109d@teran ews "K..........." writes:
Hi there,
We noticed a month ago that he was starting to scratch a bit, we live in
Sydney Australia and being in summer I figured he was attracting fleas.

I've treated him with frontline, and we can't see any fleas on him but he is
still scratching like crazy. I'm concerned that he may have an allergy or
similar.

I'll take him to the vet after the public holidays I'm just wondering if
anyone else has had a similar experience.

thanks,

Kulander.

Hi Kulander,

If he had fleas he could still be scratching because of an allergic
reaction to the flea bites.

How often do you bath your Maltese? I have a dog much like
a Maltese, a Havanese, and I have found, at least during the
winter, that almost all of his scratching disappeared once
I stopped bathing him every 2.5 weeks or so.

During the summer, I suspect that my dog had inhalent allergies
because he would be licking/chewing his paws. The vet
recommended various anthistamines, some over the counter,
but they did not appear very effective.

Try reading the material he

http://www.utskinvet.org/

There is even a table of antihistaines and recommended
doses he

http://www.utskinvet.org/handouts.shtml

I think you will find the handouts quite informative.

Contrariwise, causes like canine scabies are difficult
to diagnose.

http://www.wcvh.com.au/newsletter/su...nlsum99008.htm

So, you might want to try antihistamines until you can
find a vet to see your dog.

--Marshall
Old December 27th 04, 07:47 AM
K...........

Thanks,

I checked out the sites. I think I may take him to the vet before the
week's out. He has slowed down a little today with the scratching but he
has such a beautiful flock of hair I wouldn't want that to be damaged by
needless scratching, and of course it goes without saying that it would be
uncomfortable for him to feel like scratching all the time...

We live across the road from a beach and he gets loads of social walks with
plenty of other dogs, my fear is that no matter how disciplined we are with
flea control etc. there is always the chance he will pick up infections from
other pets.

This is a great newsgroup, I'll be in touch..

Kulander.

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
In article 1104094415.5fc900085c70825e56fc909c75b8109d@teran ews
Hi there,

Old December 27th 04, 12:04 PM
buglady

"K..........." wrote in message
news:1104133624.56a7bab072fc15cb7ed8dc59df70183c@t eranews...
We live across the road from a beach and he gets loads of social walks

with
plenty of other dogs,

..............sea water? Does he get salty spray on him? Do you rinse him
off with plain water when you get home?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 27th 04, 04:24 PM
Michael A. Ball

On 27 Dec 2004 03:28:08 GMT, (Marshall Dermer)
wrote:

... I have a dog much like
a Maltese, a Havanese, and I have found, at least during the
winter, that almost all of his scratching disappeared once
I stopped bathing him every 2.5 weeks or so.

Try reading the material he

http://www.utskinvet.org/

There is even a table of antihistaines and recommended
doses he

http://www.utskinvet.org/handouts.shtml

I think you will find the handouts quite informative.

Contrariwise, causes like canine scabies are difficult
to diagnose.

http://www.wcvh.com.au/newsletter/su...nlsum99008.htm

So, you might want to try antihistamines until you can
find a vet to see your dog.

Marshall, thanks for the interesting/useful links. As a Havanese
guardian, do you happen to know, or know of, Steve & Margie Staniszeski
of Bourbonnais, IL? A few years back, Margie saw a Havanese, fell in
love with it, and now they are a very major part of her life!

Thanks again.

Michael

Zildjian: world class cymbal of excellence.
Old December 27th 04, 06:32 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article Michael A. Ball
writes:

Marshall, thanks for the interesting/useful links. As a Havanese
guardian, do you happen to know, or know of, Steve & Margie Staniszeski
of Bourbonnais, IL? A few years back, Margie saw a Havanese, fell in
love with it, and now they are a very major part of her life!

I know of them now: http://www.erashavanese.com/

Thanks,

--Marshall