Digging to China

Old December 27th 04, 11:09 PM
Dixie Sugar

Default Digging to China

We have three dogs in a fenced-in back yard. They enjoy the yard running
and playing fetch. Only problem is their digging particularly near the
patio. Anyone have a solution??????????

TIA

Old December 28th 04, 01:06 AM
Spot

Dig up about 2 to 3 inches of top soil. Lay down hardware cloth (this is
the fencing that is spaced about 1/4 an inch apart all over) Roll out the
fencing, tack it down to the ground tight with metal tent spikes or some
other method and recover with the soil. The dogs hate the feel of this
under their toenails and will give up digging in this spot. Now they might
pick another area so your best bet is to set aside a sand box or dirt box
and re-direct them to this area when they get the urge to dig. This way
they have a designated place they are allowed to dig in and will soon learn
you are happy when they did in this spot only.

Celeste

Old December 28th 04, 02:32 AM
Rocky

Dixie Sugar said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We have three dogs in a fenced-in back yard. They enjoy
the yard running and playing fetch. Only problem is their
digging particularly near the patio. Anyone have a
solution??????????

The two dogs that I've had with digging issues, I took to an
area of my yard where I didn't mind them digging and scratched
around with them for a few minutes. That, a few "nuh-uhs!", and
immediate redirection to my preferred digging site worked well.

Old December 28th 04, 01:44 PM
hotkey

allow them to dig in an assigned area
punish mildly if off limits

Old December 28th 04, 02:06 PM
Diana

"Dixie Sugar" wrote in message
How? They generally do this at night or when no one is in the yard with
them.

Well then, looks like you've answered your own question, doesn't it?

Diana

Old December 31st 04, 08:19 PM
Dixie Sugar

Thanks Celeste. The hardware cloth is a good idea. Our cyclone fencing is
done similar to that but it hadn't occurred to me to use the same idea in
the yard. Would you suggest (for the digging area) taking up the sod and
putting sand on top of it or just taking up the sod? The dogs seem to favor
an area where it is not too grassy for their excavating. Actually I think
the two younger dogs dig for bugs or something. I don't know whether a sand
box would work or not particularly with my 12 yr. old. He's been digging
big time for so long that I wonder if he would go for artificial dirt. LOL