Brits

Old December 28th 04, 12:28 AM

Default Brits

I'm considering a Brittany and a lot of the reading I've done seems to
indicate they need a fenced in area to play in. I live in a (large)
townhouse with a dog park just a few steps away so maintaining a dog
that needs lots of exercise won't be a problem....unless it needs a
fence.

Most of the literature implies that a neutered Brit isn't prone to
wandering (assuming proper supervision) but the constant references to
fences has me concerned.

Anyone have info?

Thanks
Joe

Old December 29th 04, 03:49 AM
culprit

wrote in message
I'm considering a Brittany and a lot of the reading I've done seems to
indicate they need a fenced in area to play in. I live in a (large)
townhouse with a dog park just a few steps away so maintaining a dog that
needs lots of exercise won't be a problem....unless it needs a fence.

Most of the literature implies that a neutered Brit isn't prone to
wandering (assuming proper supervision) but the constant references to
fences has me concerned.

all the brits i've met are pretty velcroy, but i wouldn't trust any dog
outside unsupervised without some sort of containment system.

if you're ready to give them the exercise they need in the park or on leash,
i'd bet you'll be fine.

-kelly

Old December 29th 04, 04:22 AM
Emily Carroll/Fluttervale

wrote in message
I'm considering a Brittany and a lot of the reading I've done seems to
indicate they need a fenced in area to play in. I live in a (large)
townhouse with a dog park just a few steps away so maintaining a dog
that needs lots of exercise won't be a problem....unless it needs a
fence.

Most of the literature implies that a neutered Brit isn't prone to
wandering (assuming proper supervision) but the constant references to
fences has me concerned.

All breeds, you will find, have that warning on most of their pages. It's
important to have a fenced-in area that most larger breeds (and some smaller
ones) can run around in.

That said, I have a Labrador. Not as high-energy as a Brittany, but still
rather energetic for a dog. We live in an apartment. He is walked three
times a day. I also take him to a place he can run off-lead at least two
times a week. Part of my new-year's resolutions are to get him 1.5 hrs. of
walking/running/etc exercise daily. But he does fine on less.

--
Emily Carroll
http://www.fluttervale.com/kennel - Fluttervale Labradors