Jack Russell Terrier

Old December 29th 04, 03:38 PM

Default Jack Russell Terrier

My Jack is typical of the breed, needs lots and lots of exercise. I
have to take him on a walk/run for 40 minutes 5-6 x week or he gets
nutty. He was very difficult to housetrain, and still marks furniture
when there is another dog in the house. He also marks when i'm not
home and someone knocks at the door. That said, I wouldn't trade him
for the world. He's got a great personality, is a terrific watch dog
and loves to snuggle.

As far as training goes..i have taken him through basic obedience and
would strongly recommend it for other JRTs. It works..most of the
time..if he sees a distraction like a squirrel or another small
animal..forget about obedience!

There's a great quote from a JRT book...that JRTs are "thugs in little
white clown costumes". its true!

Old December 30th 04, 07:16 AM
Leigh Harris

wrote
My Jack is typical of the breed, needs lots and lots of exercise. I
have to take him on a walk/run for 40 minutes 5-6 x week or he gets
nutty. He was very difficult to housetrain, and still marks furniture
when there is another dog in the house. He also marks when i'm not
home and someone knocks at the door. That said, I wouldn't trade him
for the world. He's got a great personality, is a terrific watch dog
and loves to snuggle.

As far as training goes..i have taken him through basic obedience and
would strongly recommend it for other JRTs. It works..most of the
time..if he sees a distraction like a squirrel or another small
animal..forget about obedience!

There's a great quote from a JRT book...that JRTs are "thugs in little
white clown costumes". its true!

We had a JR for almost 16 years. She was no problem to train and was
generally very well behaved.

As for exercise, there was only one time we ever actually wore her out -
when we walked about 6 kms on the beach and
she ran probably 30, at full speed!

I don't know about thugs, but they certainly are tough, determined,
delightful dogs who don't understand that they are but a fraction of the
size of half the dogs they come across.

We now have two 16 week old JR pups. They've been here nearly two weeks and
are almost housetrained already. Having their own dog door and the freedom
to come in and out has probably helped with that. If anyone's interested,
there are heaps of pics of them at the website below.

P.S. I'm new here. Finding some of the info very helpful as we get back into
having young dogs around. It's been a looong time since I had to think about
things being chewed, peed on etc.
--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia