q. How to stop dogs from jumping

Old January 1st 05, 03:32 PM
David

Default q. How to stop dogs from jumping

Hi -

Can any one give me a suggestion on how to stop our 18 month old Collie from
jumping on people. I have been using the "Ground" command and he does not
jump on me, but does jump on other people. The "Ground" command is not as
effective when I am trying to get him not to jump on other people. His
intention when he jumps is just to say hello, but he is too big to say hello
in that way.

TIA

David

Old January 1st 05, 04:44 PM
KWBrown

"David" wrote in
:

Hi -

Can any one give me a suggestion on how to stop our 18 month old
Collie from jumping on people. I have been using the "Ground" command
and he does not jump on me, but does jump on other people. The
"Ground" command is not as effective when I am trying to get him not
to jump on other people. His intention when he jumps is just to say
hello, but he is too big to say hello in that way.

Happy New Year.

You need to teach him to do something else, such as hold a sit-stay, when
other people come around. It's going to take time and work on both your
parts.

You may have stopped the jumping by walking into (not kneeing) him and
giving him his "ground" command. You may be able to get some cooperative
friends to do the same - but until you can control him around strangers,
keep him on a short lead and enforce a sit. You'd hate it if he knocked
over a little old lady.

Get you both to a good obedience class, ASAP. They'll give you the in-
person tools you need to teach your dog that sitting at heel and paying
attention to you is much more interesting and rewarding than bouncing on
the stranger.
--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old January 1st 05, 08:15 PM
Jessica Benko

Kate gave excellent tips, but I want to add to her point of having friends
do this also. This is so true. The dog is learning not to jump on YOU, but
since no one else is offering the command you use, the dog thinks it's ok to
jump on them. What you also might want to do is have a few people around
(friends/family/neighbors willing to help out) approach the dog and use this
command. This teaches the dog you aren't the only one he shouldn't jump on.
Jumping dogs aren't really a threat if they are being too friendly, but it
can very quickly turn dangerous if he knocks someone down.

And BTW...they sell anti-jump harnesses through most pet supply places. My
personal experience with them wasn't good at all, as I wasted the money IMO.
My own dog broke it within 5 minutes when she was just 5 months old. They
aren't worth the money, and IMO also don't really get the point across to
the dog either.

~J

Old January 1st 05, 08:26 PM
Jazz

What I did, and this 'cured' my very large rescue; whenever he jumped up on
someone, they would grab his front paws and not let go. After about 3
seconds, my dog didn't like this and would squirm to get down. After another
second, we would let go (whoever had him) and it only took 4 times and this
dog never jumped up on anyone again. It was pretty much an instant remedy. I
wish all our problems were solved so easy.
Hope this works for you.

Old January 4th 05, 05:20 AM
Wolf

the ground command sounds silly, you dont need to use any command, its all
in body language, you have to let the dog know your serious. let him know
that you do not like him jumping on you, not that it makes you retaliate,
not that it makes you yell, not that it makes you give him attention even if
it is abuse, the dog understand your emotions. my dogs knwo what "OW' is if
said with a vulnerable tone to it, if he is too rambunctious then he may not
pause enough to listen, in this case i would choose to alpha approace, you
need to dominate the dog in all aspects. let him know who teh alpha is.
remember, your his partner, his guardian, not his master, but you need to be
the alpha or the dog will do what he wants. if all you want to do is
control teh dog, some dogs have their own character, and your dog is showing
you his, so instead of fighting it, get into his way of life, and find a way
to let him knwo you dont like it. although i didnt explain how to do this,
you may be able to figure that out. Sometimes i give my dogs a sharp "Eh"
pronounced "A" when they hear this, they respect. i didnt teach them
ground, i didnt teach them anything, i just showed them when they displease
me, and they way i am with them, they want nothting but to please me. And my
dogs are malamute/wolves, so if i can do it with them, training collie is a
snap. please email me if your having a hard time but like my idea.

wolf

Old February 10th 05, 01:31 PM
Leah Roberts

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:41:06 -0500, Ed wrote:

I have always used the step on the toes method.
usually works.

There are ways to do it without hurting the dog.

It's more important (and easier) to train a dog what to DO than what
NOT to do. When a dog is jumping on you, it's because he wants your
attention. So make sure the jumping doesn't get any - invisible dog.
Don't even look at him. Instead, when he comes to greet you, ask him
for a SIT. If he sits, he gets petted. If he jumps, he gets ignored.

I had a private student who would jump, nip, and bark for attention.
She got it - they yelled at her, pushed her away, even slapped at her.
Within 10 minutes of teaching her to sit for attention, she was
running around the back yard offering every family member (and me)
sits joyfully. Without any of the extraneous obnoxious behavior.

But don't expect results this quickly. Jumping up is an
attention-getting behavior that has been REINFORCED if you have given
the dog attention, even negatively. The dog has to learn that it will
no longer earn him reinforcement, and that can take a while.
Especially if anybody is still reinforcing him. So that means to
PREVENT the jumping on people who don't know the rules, and may pet
him or speak to him for it.

--
Leah Roberts, Family Dog Trainer
It's A Dog's World
Old February 10th 05, 08:41 PM
Ed

I have always used the step on the toes method.
usually works.

Old February 10th 05, 08:54 PM
Robin Nuttall

Ed wrote:
I have always used the step on the toes method.
usually works.

Yeah, and can also break your dog's toes, and can be difficult to
execute if the dog is dancing around.

There are many ways to teach a dog to stop jumping up, and the above is
one of the worst. A better way is to simply never reward your dog for
jumping up. If your dog is never petted or given reinforcement for
jumping, he will have no reason to do so. Quietly waiting while your dog
tries it, then praising and patting the instant all 4 feet hit the
ground is a good way to do it. Using a clicker is another way.

I would hope that most people would prefer training methods that don't
involve physical abuse of the dog to accomplish a goal.