Dog Staring At Me

Old January 1st 05, 10:13 PM
Dormammu

Default Dog Staring At Me

All the time, and I mean all the time. We got this dog about 18months
ago. She was a rescue and was hand-shy at first. Draffut is a half
border collie/hlaf black Labrador retriever, and I had read that border
collies tend to stare fixedly at things that interest them.

However, there are other things that make me think it's not just
interest. Things like her barking at me when I come in the door at a
time out of the normal sequence of my arrivals home, or like her jumping
if I touch her unexpectedly, or like her hunching her head and shoulders
down and scootching away if I walk towards her.

She does none of these things with my girlfriend, so my thought was that
she was abused by a man in her past and she's equating me with all men.
However, she does none of these things with either of our male friends
or relatives that come to visit.

I treat Draffut as if she were my own child--so nice even my girlfriend
is slightly jealous. Yet after 18 months, though there has been some
progress, she still does all these things. Is there any hope she will
ever accept me as she does other people?

To email me, change the address to dormammu then the "at" sign, then
cox, then dot, then net. Thanks.

Old January 4th 05, 04:53 AM
Wolf

sounds like the dogs past home had the problem where it was the male spouse
that gave the dog a headache so to speak, and visitors were always welcome
to the dog. that would explain why its just you.

to correct it, the best method is to ignore the behaviour or it will
manifest. try turning your side the dog whenever possible, if it is even
slightly interested in coming up to you from the rear or side, there is huge
potential here. what you do is put your arm out and pet it witout looking at
it, then after your hand is on it and pettting, turn your head towards it,
but not your body. when you do this, give it a big friendly encouraging
hiiiiiiiiiiii. then as it backs away and goes the other direction,
immediately direct your attention off of it, repeat this enough times, and
the dog will realilze that it needs to come up to your
friendly-non-body-language-threatening self in order to get attention. And
dont stare at it, you will warrant its fears if your not making the proper
expressions or body language. time will heal. email me in the future with
progress if this works for you.

wolf

Old January 7th 05, 12:57 AM
Dormammu

"Dormammu" wrote in message

[...]

I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks much for the advice and I'll
let you know if it works.

--Dormammu