Scottish Terrier

Old January 2nd 05, 03:58 PM
David Henschel

Default Scottish Terrier

Hi Everyone,

I am writing this in desperation for some help with an inherited
Scottish Terrier. I am not too familiar with the breed, however I have
read they are smart and not well with instruction. I can also see the
large jaw and its attached teeth. A friend left him here because he had
to move away and was going to put down the dog and I wouldn't let him,
the only alternative to have me take the dog in. The dog is not
placeable due to the lack of training in the past.

i have a Golden mix and he does well with just about anything, so they
get along well and I have had only minor problems there.

The problem is the dog, a 5 year pure bred Scottie with minimal training
before moving in here 3 months ago, has a history of biting, both humans
and dogs. I have worked diligently on biting of humans, and he generally
respects humans now to the point that I don't think he will bite another
human, at least under my supervision.

Today he bit a neighbors dog, a Nufi (sp) mix about twice his size, and
I can only explain it that he was being protective of me or playing the
dominance game and bit to win. My friend suggests putting him down as he
doesn't want to deal with it anymore and he doesn't have any other
options for the dog.

I would like to keep the dog, and I think the only option would be to
put a muzzle on him when taking him in public. Does anyone have any
options otherwise?

Thanks for your help, Dave
Old January 7th 05, 04:26 PM

"David Henschel" wrote in message
[...]

If he bites both HUMANS and DOGS he's a real problem and not appropriately
socialized -probably since puppy-hood. Either get professional help
(preferable) or have him put down. At present, he is too much of a liability
for you.
~Q