dogs and people food

Old January 3rd 05, 04:31 AM
MauiJNP

Default dogs and people food

even though I said I wouldn't do it, I find myself sharing my people food
with my dog, Maui. in general, I know this is not the best practice but I
don't see a huge harm in sharing an occasional peice of food. that said,
what are some foods that I should stay away from when sharing with my dog.
I know chocolate is bad, as well as onions and I think I heard grapes too,
but what else is bad? what is ok? thanks.

ps: please don't try to talk me out of sharing a few bits of people food
with my dog. I know some people are really against it but I don't see the
big deal with occasional treats. I am committed to sharing wisely though,
thus the questions above.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:39 AM
Phyloe

My dogs eat people food. I think food is food and how can it do harm? Of
course chocolate is bad but I do not know why. My Greyhound eats everything.
I asked a vet assistant at the dog track and she told me that Greyhounds are
fed meat, veggies, and fruits to give them a balanced diet. I offered her a
pepper from my Papa John's pizza and she gobbled it down.
Phyloe

Old January 3rd 05, 04:46 AM
Hi Im WEEniE with MyFav4ite Midi

I do the same.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:49 AM
Jessica Benko

I use people food as treats for my dogs as they highly value them, and the
dogs are willing to do more work for a better treat.

Cheese is good for them, but in limited amounts, as some dogs just don't
tolerate dairy stuff too well. Peanut butter is EXCELLENT. I stuff Kong toys
with dog food and peanut butter and freeze it overnight, and I have a treat
that lasts for hours. Hot dogs, deli meats, small amounts of tuna every once
in a while is ok too. I add a half can of canned salmon to my dog's food
every day along with oatmeal (yep the instant cheap stuff you can microwave)
and it helps keep her eczema from bothering her. Also, you CAN feed chicken
bones-FROZEN and UNCOOKED only. Once they are cooked that is when they can
easily break apart dangerously. I personally do not feed my dogs bones at
all other than an occasional rawhide, but I know many people who do, and my
vet also clarified this for me as well. Eggs...cooked or uncooked...are also
healthy for them.

And you are right about grapes. They can be deadly to a dog (as well as
raisins) although some will protest that. Years ago my mom used to always
feed the dogs grapes and we never had problems. Better safe than sorry I
guess. And feeding a dog chocolate is like feeding a diabetic anything they
should NEVER have. It can instantly cause serious problems.

~J

Old January 3rd 05, 04:59 AM

MauiJNP wrote:

even though I said I wouldn't do it, I find myself sharing my people food
with my dog, Maui. in general, I know this is not the best practice but I
don't see a huge harm in sharing an occasional peice of food. that said,
what are some foods that I should stay away from when sharing with my dog.
I know chocolate is bad, as well as onions and I think I heard grapes too,
but what else is bad? what is ok? thanks.

ps: please don't try to talk me out of sharing a few bits of people food
with my dog. I know some people are really against it but I don't see the
big deal with occasional treats. I am committed to sharing wisely though,
thus the questions above.

You see no harm, but you might be feeding too much fat without
knowing it. Besides, you are spoiling your dog and teaching
it to beg and expect more food. Cute -- but not healthy.

They have balanced dog food diets, why mess up a good thing?

KM
Old January 3rd 05, 05:01 AM

Phyloe wrote:

My dogs eat people food. I think food is food and how can it do harm?

Too much fat can mess up their diet and shorten their life!

Of
course chocolate is bad but I do not know why. My Greyhound eats everything.
I asked a vet assistant at the dog track and she told me that Greyhounds are
fed meat, veggies, and fruits to give them a balanced diet. I offered her a
pepper from my Papa John's pizza and she gobbled it down.

See what I mean?

KM
Old January 3rd 05, 05:15 AM
Scott

Frozen chicken bones...I don't think so.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:23 AM
MauiJNP

You see no harm, but you might be feeding too much fat without
knowing it. Besides, you are spoiling your dog and teaching
it to beg and expect more food. Cute -- but not healthy.

I only feed my dog people food when he is quiet. If he barks or begs, he
gets ignored and no food. that is probably my biggest rule.
he learned very quickly to keep quiet.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:41 AM
Jessica Benko

Well my vet says it's ok, but I still choose NOT to ever feed them bones
like that. I just don't feel it is safe by any means. The chicken itself
without the bones, sure though. LOL

~J

Old January 3rd 05, 06:06 AM
Scott

No, I meant that "frozen" chicken bones aren't good. I have feed my 2
year old German shepherd uncooked chicken backs and necks since she was
9 weeks old.