Newly diagnosed with diabetes

Old December 10th 03, 04:49 PM
NewYorkFem

Default Newly diagnosed with diabetes

My 8 year old Cairn Terrier has been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm giving her 2
insulin shots daily (of varying amounts of Humalin) based on urine readings.
She's showing no ketones. I was wondering whether anyone knew about a diabetes
newsgroup or board where I might be able to post questions and correspond with
others who are dealing with the same issue
Everything I've looked up so far discusses doing blood tests rather than the
urine tests. Don't get me wrong, doing urines is far easier (although not as
accurate), but maybe our vet recommeded it because the diabetes isn't that
severe, or because she knew how difficult getting bloods from this particular
dog would be.
Any help appreciated!
Old December 10th 03, 08:52 PM
Sunni12

Everything I've looked up so far discusses doing blood tests rather than the
urine tests. Don't get me wrong, doing urines is far easier (although not as
accurate), but maybe our vet recommeded it because the diabetes isn't that
severe, or because she knew how difficult getting bloods from this particular
dog would be.
Any help appreciated!

Blood testing catches the glucose level much quicker than urine does. By the
time the glucose level in the urine rises, the actual blood level is going to
be pretty high.
Blood testing will also catch a low glucose reading and urinary test doesn't.

My info is based on human diabeties not canine. I'm a 3rd generation diabetic.
Diabetes management is much easier when the glucose testing is accurate.

I looked at www.vetinfo.com and it had a lot of info about diabetes in dogs. It
says you can use human blood glucose monitors and the best places to get the
blood is from the lip, paw pad or ear margin. It also says monitoring is very
important in the beginning. Try the vetinfo site and see if it helps you any.

-sunny

Old December 11th 03, 03:40 PM
Janni Cone

"NewYorkFem" wrote in message
[...]

Fern,
Check out www.petdiabetes.org it's a GREAT resource and the folks on there
are very helpful.

My brother's Rottie has ben diagnosed for over 2 years and she's doing
GREAT! She's 8 years old now. She is blind, but that doesn't seem to
bother her in the least bit. He went through the bouts of trying to get her
stabilized and having 12 and 24 hour glucose curves done, but what he
eventually ended up doing - even though the vet didn't seem to think it
necessary - wsa testing her blood 2X per day with a human tester. The more
knowledge and understanding youhave of her levels, what makes them rise or
fall and how ot make adjustments, the easier your life will be - and the
better hers wil be too. LEARN everything you can and don't be afraid to go
the blood testing route - it gives you control and peace of mind. the
Rottie girl rolls over and waits for her test at dinnertime!

Good luck to you!