Designing the Perfect Dogpark "Off-Leash Recreation Area"

Old January 6th 05, 06:06 PM
Deb

Default Designing the Perfect Dogpark "Off-Leash Recreation Area"

(the people over att rpd.breeds suggested that I post this here.)

We are organizing to open the first off-leash recreation area (dogpark)
here in Grand Prairie. We have five flat acres with no trees. Since
this is truly virgin territory, your comments on how it should be
designed would be very helpful. Plus, what you have seen that is
really great. To get you started, here are some questions:

How do you feel about artifical turf, like they use on soccer fields?
Have you ever been to a dogpark that has such a surface and how was it
holding up.

How should our 5 acres be divided up, other than an area for big dogs
and an area for little dogs?

Should the areas be square/rectangular or oval/round or L-Shaped, or
?????

Should there be a walkway around the park inside the fence?

Until we can grow natural shade, what do you prefer?

Should the area be left flat or graded into different levels?

What is the one thing that you have seen in a dogpark that really
impressed you?

Old January 6th 05, 07:46 PM
ceb

"Deb" wrote in news:1105031184.648013.30070
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

How should our 5 acres be divided up, other than an area for big dogs
and an area for little dogs?

If you go for real grass, then I would recommend having 2 areas, one that
is in use, and the other that is growing grass -- then you alternate areas
when one becomes unbearably muddy -- of course, mud doesn't bother the dogs
but can be unpleasant for the humans -- although when Zoe was young, I was
just reconciled to giving her a bath every time we went to the dog park.

I can't remember if you mentioned a good water spot -- our best dog park
has a hand pump and a big bucket next to it.

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 7th 05, 12:21 AM

On 6 Jan 2005 09:06:24 -0800 Deb whittled these words:
[...]

There are some great forums with people who are very experienced with dog
parks. This page may help you locate those forums
http://www.dog-play.com/dogparkl.html

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/