Separation anxiety solutions?

Old January 7th 05, 02:47 AM
Melissa

Default Separation anxiety solutions?

I have a two-part problem, which I'm trying to solve seperately, hense the
seperate posts.

I have a 1yr old Maltese X Japanese dog, who was neglected (confined to a
crate most of the day most of his puppy-hood) and never trained. He was then
abused and went through a pretty traumatic time with the abuse, a sudden vet
trip, then being planted into my house (I'd never met the dog, and I have 3
cats which have never lived with a dog). So I expected separation anxiety
once I bonded to him, because he got more attention from me the first
weekend I had him than I'm sure he got most of his life previous to that.
And sure enough, he's got it.

When I come home, he barks, whines, jumps up, spins in circles, makes this
HORRIBLE piercing noise which honestly hurts my ears and is generally psycho
for at least 5 minutes.
I don't want to crate train him, because he already spent his whole life in
a crate and I don't want him to have to do that with me, but I will if I
have to.
I've tried ignoring him, but it's next to impossible when he's screaming in
my ear as I untie my shoes, jumping on my legs and arms and being a jerk.
I've tried making him sit and be quiet when I came in--when he used to be
tied up in the basement--but it would take me 15 or 20 minutes to take the 6
steps towards him and he would whine and squeal about being left there when
I left him and I live in a condo, so I can't **** off my neighbours.

I don't know what else to do. I work full time and I live alone, so I can't
really ease him into this. I leave him for 2 seconds (to throw my garbage on
the front step or go out to lock the car door) and he's whining, screeching,
jumping when I come back... what do I do????

Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions.
Melissa

Old January 7th 05, 03:42 AM
Tee

"Melissa" wrote in message
I have a two-part problem, which I'm trying to solve seperately, hense the
seperate posts.

I have a 1yr old Maltese X Japanese dog, who was neglected (confined to a
crate most of the day most of his puppy-hood) and never trained. He was
then abused and went through a pretty traumatic time with the abuse, a
sudden vet trip, then being planted into my house (I'd never met the dog,
and I have 3 cats which have never lived with a dog). So I expected
separation anxiety once I bonded to him, because he got more attention
from me the first weekend I had him than I'm sure he got most of his life
previous to that. And sure enough, he's got it.

If you're positive he has SA (and its not unlikely given the events you
describe) then Google different sites to gather information for how to work
with SA. Different people have found different methods, or rather different
variations of the same method, to work for them & their dogs. Its good to
have several ideas or a well-rounded plan of action & understanding from the
start. I, as many others here, could tell you what we've done for dogs with
SA but I think you'd find the same on the net and keep in mind that all dogs
are different as are their degrees of anxiety.

When I come home, he barks, whines, jumps up, spins in circles, makes this
HORRIBLE piercing noise which honestly hurts my ears and is generally
psycho for at least 5 minutes.

I looked up the Japanese Chin to see if this piercing thing was a breed
trait but found nothing of the dogs vocal characteristics. I've only ever
heard of one dog breed being a screamer and that's the Basenji. So I don't
know if its a breed trait or if its something he learned early on from not
getting attention & being confined all the time. Maybe he found that the
louder he got the faster he'd get attention. Everything else you describe
is fairly common for an excited dog, even one who has had a good upbringing.

I don't want to crate train him, because he already spent his whole life
in a crate and I don't want him to have to do that with me, but I will if
I have to.

You can go about it the right way, make it a good place for him and be
implementing a management/safety system for those times you're at work.
That wouldn't be abuse or neglect. Most people who've lived with dogs with
SA have found crates invaluable for the dog's safety first & foremost and
for the benefit of having their homes protected from an anxious dog. IME SA
dogs, at least the breed I've worked with, find more comfort & safety from
being crated than they do being left free. Getting a crate that is large
enough for the dog to stand, turn-around & stretch out in but not so large
that they have a ton of extra space or so small that they're cramped is key.

I've tried ignoring him, but it's next to impossible when he's screaming
in my ear as I untie my shoes, jumping on my legs and arms and being a
jerk.

He's not trying to be a jerk nor does he realize that's your impression of
his actions. Have you considered immediately walking him when you get home.
Come in, snap the leash on, go right back out the door (even if its only 5
minutes). This will help him work off some of that excitement so that when
you get back home he shouldn't be screaming in your ear. Let him
concentrate on sniffing the ground & spinning around outside rather than
inside.

I've tried making him sit and be quiet when I came in--when he used to be
tied up in the basement--but it would take me 15 or 20 minutes to take the
6 steps towards him and he would whine and squeal about being left there
when I left him and I live in a condo, so I can't **** off my neighbours.

Don't leave him tied in the basement. Try the crate, at least its something
he's already familiar with & if he's like most dogs, he won't eliminate in
it. I don't recommend ignoring him when you're home because that could be
adding to any problems he has. If your concern is not being able to watch
him all the time then try attaching a leash to yourself and the other end to
the dog so he's always within 10' of you. Dogs want to be with people,
especially when they know people are home & moving about. The more you keep
him with you & work with him the faster he'll learn what's allowed & what's
not.

I don't know what else to do. I work full time and I live alone, so I
can't really ease him into this. I leave him for 2 seconds (to throw my
garbage on the front step or go out to lock the car door) and he's
whining, screeching, jumping when I come back... what do I do????

Take him with you. Don't leave him when you're home. It takes work and I
know what its like to have a job & single-handedly raise a dog but you
either make it work to everyone's benefit or admit defeat and rehome the
dog.

--
Tara

Old January 7th 05, 01:36 PM
ceb

"Melissa" wrote in

When I come home, he barks, whines, jumps up, spins in circles, makes
this HORRIBLE piercing noise which honestly hurts my ears and is
generally psycho for at least 5 minutes.

I have to tell you I really LOVE the excitement that Zoe shows when I come
home -- yes, there is jumping involved (although she doesn't bark at me).
Who else is so frantically happy to see me??? I myself am loud and effusive
when I see her, in response to her enthusiastic greeting. The cat steers
clear of us at these times. I think it's ok to make a big fuss at
homecoming, and to feel good that your dog is VERY HAPPY to see you.

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 7th 05, 01:46 PM
Mary H Healey

Tee wrote:
"Melissa" wrote:
When I come home, he barks, whines, jumps up, spins in circles, makes this
HORRIBLE piercing noise which honestly hurts my ears and is generally
psycho for at least 5 minutes.

I looked up the Japanese Chin to see if this piercing thing was a breed
trait but found nothing of the dogs vocal characteristics. I've only ever
heard of one dog breed being a screamer and that's the Basenji.

And Eskies. (ACDs have a pretty obnoxious shriek, too, but the ones I
know use it sparingly.)

... Everything else you describe
is fairly common for an excited dog, even one who has had a good upbringing.

Yup.

I've tried making him sit and be quiet when I came in--

Self control is learned, and it takes time. That's what you're asking
of this dog, yes? That he control his excitement? You probably need to
work on the basics of self control under less challenging circumstances.

Don't leave him tied in the basement. Try the crate, at least its something
he's already familiar with & if he's like most dogs, he won't eliminate in
it. I don't recommend ignoring him when you're home because that could be
adding to any problems he has. If your concern is not being able to watch
him all the time then try attaching a leash to yourself and the other end to
the dog so he's always within 10' of you. Dogs want to be with people,
especially when they know people are home & moving about. The more you keep
him with you & work with him the faster he'll learn what's allowed & what's
not.

Very good advice!
--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo:
Raise A Fund, ANZ Babylon Ranger, ANZ MarmaDUKE, and Rotund Rhia

Old January 7th 05, 08:01 PM
Tee

"Mary H Healey" wrote in message
Tee wrote:

I looked up the Japanese Chin to see if this piercing thing was a breed
trait but found nothing of the dogs vocal characteristics. I've only
ever heard of one dog breed being a screamer and that's the Basenji.

And Eskies. (ACDs have a pretty obnoxious shriek, too, but the ones I
know use it sparingly.)

Learn something new everyday

--
Tara