Is this separation anxiety?

Old January 12th 05, 07:15 PM
Deese

Default Is this separation anxiety?

My husband and I adopted a 1 yr old siberian husky from a rescue
organization a few days ago. He's a wonderful dog. Very sweet and laid
back and learned to heel on the leash really quickly. But at night he's a
different animal. Because of an allery to dogs, I can't allow him to sleep
in my room so I have to put him in a spare bedroom. Well, the first night
he howled and scratched up the door frame trying to get out. So the second
night I chained him to a smaller area. Same thing again but this time he
scratched the floor and chewed and scratched anything in his reach. When I
went to check on him after listening to all the noise and pitiful howling,
he looked like a different animal. He had this crazed look in his eyes and
he was panting - practically hyperventillating - and drooling and shaking
terribly. I felt so bad for him so I brought him into the bedroom and he
lay right down and went to sleep with absolutely no problem. Then I had an
asthma attack so my husband had to take him back down to the spare bedroom
and it started all over again. So yesterday I bought him a crate. I put a
blanket inside it and a blanket over half of it. I was hoping it would
seem like a nice den to him and he'd go in there and sleep. No such luck.
I went to bed first and was lying in bed when the dog came thundering down
the hall and planted himself right beside the bed where I was sleeping. My
husband was trying to catch him to put him to bed in that room and he
was coming to me to save him, heh. So finally we got him in there and as
soon as we left he started scratching at the bottom of the crate and
howling that awful howl. I went to check on him and sure enough he had
that crazed look, had drooled everywhere, was panting really fast, shaking
all over and crying. All night long that's what he did - howl and scratch
and chew up those blankets. He's also attatched to me personally. My
husband says that when I leave he gets on the couch and stares out the
window and cries until I come back. I'm usually home all day anyway so
that's not a big problem. But night time is a problem. Is there anything
that can be done to help this dog? I mean, no matter what happens to him
(we may have to return him to the rescue because of my allergy) he's going
to have to spend time by himself. There's no perfect home is there? I'd
like to figure out something so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Old January 13th 05, 12:20 AM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:15:54 -0500, Deese
wrote:

My husband and I adopted a 1 yr old siberian husky from a rescue
organization a few days ago. He's a wonderful dog. Very sweet and laid
back and learned to heel on the leash really quickly. But at night he's a
different animal... There's no perfect home is there? I'd
like to figure out something so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Very sad. So, you take an intelligent, hundred-pound dog, that's been
passed around like a joint. You disregard the fact that, as a pack
animal, he's used to companionship and team-work. You further disregard
the fact that he is a double-coated breed--with far more allergens that
an average breed. And now you have problems.

It will take someone with far more expertise than I have, to solve this
problem. So far, the dog's behavior seems to have been quite
predictable. It sounds like the rescue group dropped the ball.

By the way, I believe there are some perfect homes--and far more that
are very nearly perfect.

I hope you will keep this group posted, because this situation can
become a great learning experience.

Michael

Zildjian: world class cymbal of excellence.
Old January 13th 05, 12:33 AM
culprit

"Deese" wrote in message
news
My husband and I adopted a 1 yr old siberian husky from a rescue
organization a few days ago. He's a wonderful dog. Very sweet and laid
back and learned to heel on the leash really quickly. But at night he's a
different animal. Because of an allery to dogs, I can't allow him to sleep
in my room so I have to put him in a spare bedroom.

have you considered taking an allergy and/or asthma medication? they work
really well for my severely allergic fiancé. in fact, after a couple
months, he didn't even need to take the meds on a daily basis anymore,
because he had become desensitized to the dogs' dander.

i can make recommendations for medications if you like.

-kelly

Old January 13th 05, 02:44 AM
Julia Altshuler

Couldn't your husband sleep in the room with the dog since he doesn't
get asthma attacks? Another solution might be to take asthma medication
each night before bed. Sometimes a dog who doesn't like to be alone is
alright with another dog. You might try getting another dog, but talk
to the rescue organization first about borrowing another dog to try it
first. Also talk to your allergist about air filters to see if one
might help you.

--Lia

Old January 13th 05, 07:19 AM
K9Care

It sounds more like a 'Trauma Relapse' rather than Seperation Anxiety or
perhaps a small combination of both.
It is possible that something traumatic happened to him when he was in the
dark ( a burglar, someone stepping or tripping on him, a thunder storm,
etc.). I'd try a few other things before sending him back.
Maybe leaving a light on or a radio or both at night may ease his feeling
'alone'.
I'd also consider looking into asthma medication, at least temporarily,
and gradually move his sleeping from your room to just outside your room to
down the hall to eventually his own room.

Do keep us posted as to what you try and how it goes.

Canine Caretaker Training/Consulting
http://www.itsmysite.com/k9care/

================================
news

Old January 13th 05, 11:02 AM
Deese

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:20:18 -0500, Michael A. Ball wrote:

Very sad. So, you take an intelligent, hundred-pound dog, that's been
passed around like a joint.

First of all, don't speak of his history which you know next to nothing
about. Secondly, if you knew anything about the breed you'd know they
aren't necessarily a hundred pounds (and a hundred pounds would be more
like an alaskan malamute, not a siberian husky). It can be perfectly
normal for them to be 35-45lbs.

You disregard the fact that, as a pack animal, he's used to
companionship and team-work.

I didn't disregard it. I'm home all day.

You further disregard the fact that he is a double-coated breed--with
far more allergens that an average breed.

You apparently don't know much about the way these allergens work. It's a
problem with a protien that's present in the saliva, urine and dander. It
has nothing to do with the fur. A dog with a short smooth-coat and skin
problems could give me far more troubles than a healthy siberian husky.

I hope you will keep this group posted, because this situation can
become a great learning experience.

Why? It's clear you only want to flame people rather than help.

Old January 13th 05, 11:11 AM
Deese

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:03:39 -0800, Janet wrote:

Consider returning this dog. Dogs need to be with their people, not shut
in another room.

I probably will return him. Unfortunately, returning him is only going to
be worse for him. At the foster home he is crated 4 hours in the morning,
4 hours in the afternoon and all night. He's not washed or brushed or
walked or trained. He had cat urine all over his fur when we got him
(which probably had a lot more to do with my initial allergic reaction
than he did) which is almost impossible to get out. I would feel better
rehoming him myself, but I can't because of the contract I signed gives
that rescue the right to have him back if I don't want him anymore.

I found a wonderful allergist almost 17 years ago, and modern medications
(control meds, not rescue meds) have been terrific.

I've been through it all - injections, medications etc - for years. I've
given it up except one medication and one rescue inhaler because it costs
a shitload of money and doesn't seem to help very much.

As for last night, he did fine. I bought him a kong and stuffed it with
cream cheese and steak bits and biscuits then froze it. Then I moved the
crate to just outside the bedroom door. He was busy with the kong for
about 3 hours then went to sleep and slept all night.

Old January 13th 05, 11:30 AM
Deese

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:15:10 +0000, D. Dub wrote:

You have an allergy to dogs...you got a dog...and now the dog has to
suffer because you're a dumbass??!?!

I've had dogs all my life, despite the allergy, including husky mixes and
others with double coats.

Let the dog sleep in your room and suck it up.

I used to let my dogs sleep right on the bed with me. However, the advice
of my previous allergist was to get the allergens out of my sleeping
area. I've found that I don't have so much allergy trouble when
allergens are kept out of my room.

And hey if you don't have anything helpful to say then stfu.

Old January 13th 05, 02:03 PM
Janet

Poor dog. Isolation is just not appropriate for a dog. Quite
honestly, if you are home with the dog all day, around the dog all day,
and you only have an asthma problem if he's in your room at night, you
need to change your meds. His physical state when you finally brought
him into your room may be a factor as well - stressed dogs shed a ton.

Consider returning this dog. Dogs need to be with their people, not
shut in another room. I'm pretty severely asthmatic and allergy-ridden
and am allergic to both cats and dogs to a high degree. 2 dogs and 2
cats sleep in my bedroom every night, one of the cats is ON the bed
(actually, he's on ME, but that's another story....).

I found a wonderful allergist almost 17 years ago, and modern
medications (control meds, not rescue meds) have been terrific.

SA? Hard to say - a brand new dog shut and then chained away from his
new owner, reacting, is not exactly a good test. I had a call from
someone last week - brought a dog home at noon and decided to "crate
train" him immediately. Put him in a crate in another room and was
calling me because the dog was crying, barking and carrying on. How
would any dog like being brought to a new home and then isolated? Get
to know the dog - let him get to know you. Give him time and love and
training and be patient with him. If you can't give this dog what he
needs, please consider returning him to rescue (who shouldn't have
placed this breed with an allergic person who was going to isolate him
to begin with).

Old January 13th 05, 04:15 PM
D. Dub

"Deese" wrote in message
news
[...]

Jeeeeesh...... take some responsibility for krissake!!