Help: My Collies a Nut!

Old January 14th 05, 09:56 PM
Allan McDermid

Default Help: My Collies a Nut!

I have a 3 year old Border Collie who I think is a bit nuts. In general he
is a friendly dog who gets on great with kids and is full of energy (like
most collies). There are a few bad points to him which if anyone has any
suggestions on how to cure I would be very gratefull for any advice.

Shaddows: He seems to have an obsession with shadows (even his own) as soon
as he see's any kind of shadow on the ground his eyes are fixed to it, and
if it moves at all he will attack the floor. I think this is something to
do with the sheep dog instinct as if I switch on a torch light, his eyes
will be fixed on the beam from it. He also has a similar obsession with his
football, any other dog could come up to him and he wouldn't take an eye off
the ball.

Other Dogs: As mentioned, if I take him out with his football he is no
problem. If however I take him out without his ball he is a complete pain
when it comes to other dogs. Sometimes he will play with them, but in about
60% of cases he will start growling which usually follows with a bit of a
fight, which is rather embarrasing.

Bycycles/Motorbikes: He loves coming out in the car and sits in the boot
quite the thing. Anytime a motorbike, bicycle or runner passes he starts
barking at them, even when walking with him if one passes then I have to
hold the lead tight as they pass and have to listen to him bark at them.
There have been some cases when he has not had his lead on and has run up to
people barking and when he gets to them he will sit wagging his tail wanting
clapped, or jump up on them to get clapped (he has never attacked anyone).

If anyone has had similar problems and could give me any advice I would love
to hear from you. Not sure if dog training would help, or if he is too old
to train.

Hopefully I can sort out this otherwise great dog (my hillwalking
companion).

Regards
Allan

Old January 15th 05, 11:59 AM
Diana

"Allan McDermid" wrote in message
k...
[..]

them to get clapped (he has never attacked anyone).

If anyone has had similar problems and could give me any advice I would
love to hear from you. Not sure if dog training would help, or if he is
too old to train.

Hopefully I can sort out this otherwise great dog (my hillwalking
companion).

Regards
Allan

A dog is never too old to train and bc's take particularly well to any
number of activities, and are quite infamous for being bonkers without
training! - check out these sites for clubs local to yourself, being sure to
visit a few times first without your dog to be sure of the quality of
training.

www.agilitynet.co.uk
http://www.obedienceuk.com/

Trainers should be friendly, openly want to discuss ideas with you and be
respectful of the dogs. Trainers that are into themselves make for a very
boring class and because anyone can call themselves a trainer, there are
many out there that are quite abysmal.

I would also look for trainers that have achieved in competition
themselves - and if you are anywhere in the vicinity of Saffron Walden,
Essex, our agility trainer is the absolute 'dogs b***x'.

Unfortunately ridducks agility training school isn't listed as yet - he only
started last year, but Anthony is well accomplished, is great fun and
totally for motivation and reward training... My weim loves it.

if you happen to be fairly local, email me from Cin's website for his number

Diana & Cindy the Weimaraner

--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk