consuming prey: a breed specific trait?

Old January 5th 05, 11:04 PM
culprit

Default consuming prey: a breed specific trait?

i'm having a discussion with some coworkers about why some dogs consume
their prey and others don't. my opinion is that breeds that were bred to
hunt but not consume, don't often eat their prey, but are more likely to
play with it. OTOH, primitive and northern breeds seem more likely to eat
their prey, from what i've read around here.

i know that when Manu caught a mole/gopher/whatever it was, he played with
it gleefully, but it never even occurred to him to eat it. a friend's JRT
caught a squirrel the other day, and did the same. but everyone i've met
with sled dogs says their dogs consume what they catch.

what are your experiences/opinions?

-kelly

Old January 5th 05, 11:52 PM

culprit wrote:
what are your experiences/opinions?

Watching your cute little Siberian Husky puppy eat a rabbit
without it ever touching the ground (chew swallow chew
swallow chew swallow) kind of speaks for itself. All of my
Siberians eat what they kill (and they're very predatory to
start with). My Collie/Newf x thought that chasing critters
was a game and she had no interest in catching, killing, or
eating other animals. She did like to roll in badly
decomposed dead ones, though.

The long-term cost of the Bush tax cuts is 5 times the estimated
Social Security deficit over the next 75 years
Old January 5th 05, 11:53 PM
Michelle

"culprit" wrote in message
i'm having a discussion with some coworkers about why some dogs consume
their prey and others don't. my opinion is that breeds that were bred to
hunt but not consume, don't often eat their prey, but are more likely to
play with it. OTOH, primitive and northern breeds seem more likely to eat
their prey, from what i've read around here.

I had a mal/wolf and although he killed critters (opossum mostly) he never
ate his catch, he did however dig up my still born bunnies and I think he
chewed on them a bit.

i know that when Manu caught a mole/gopher/whatever it was, he played with
it gleefully, but it never even occurred to him to eat it. a friend's JRT
caught a squirrel the other day, and did the same. but everyone i've met
with sled dogs says their dogs consume what they catch.

what are your experiences/opinions?

The SO's parents have a rat terrier and she has killed a chicken (playing
with it) and eaten a baby quail that was lucky enough to basically walk in
her mouth but AFAIK has never caught and killed anything. My opinion of
this one is she prefers pizza to rats.

The two dogs I have presently have yet to catch anything although when we
first got the house they had all sorts of fun with an already dead bird (I
thought it was a piece of their rope until I saw the eye) and they are
persistent in their chase of cottontails .

-Michelle

Old January 5th 05, 11:55 PM
culprit

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

My Collie/Newf x thought that chasing critters
was a game and she had no interest in catching, killing, or
eating other animals. She did like to roll in badly
decomposed dead ones, though.

maybe she was disguising her scent so she could herd them more easily? ;-)

-kelly

Old January 6th 05, 12:37 AM
Tee

"culprit" wrote in message
i'm having a discussion with some coworkers about why some dogs consume
their prey and others don't. my opinion is that breeds that were bred to
hunt but not consume, don't often eat their prey, but are more likely to
play with it. OTOH, primitive and northern breeds seem more likely to eat
their prey, from what i've read around here.

i know that when Manu caught a mole/gopher/whatever it was, he played with
it gleefully, but it never even occurred to him to eat it. a friend's JRT
caught a squirrel the other day, and did the same. but everyone i've met
with sled dogs says their dogs consume what they catch.

what are your experiences/opinions?

Fancy does the jump at, snatch, jump away, look at the thing like it has 4
heads, jump at it again...dance. Flinging isn't out of the question either.
Certain things, like squirrels, have a very high fling rating.

Pebbles, the Min. Dachshund, aims to kill her prey but she doesn't eat it.
She's a clean killer though. Her strike is always true and one strike is
all it ever takes. She's killed birds, snakes & a mole.

Sully, the Lab we used to have, was a squirrel eater. She brought them into
my house and devoured them on the living room carpet.

Boxers rarely eat their prey and rarely kill it intentionally either.
They're more likely to fatally harm something they're trying to play too
roughly with and tend to snap necks in the process. Obviously though there
are some high-prey Boxers that do intentionally kill but they're not the
norm.

The only Boxer I've ever known to consume something it killed (unfortunately
it was a cat) was a freak of nature who should not have been allowed to
continue drawing breath after it was born. There's alot more history to
support my opinion.

--
Tara

Old January 6th 05, 12:56 AM

Tee wrote:
Pebbles, the Min. Dachshund, aims to kill her prey but she doesn't eat it.
She's a clean killer though. Her strike is always true and one strike is
all it ever takes. She's killed birds, snakes & a mole.

How does a miniature Dachshund kill a bird?

Old January 6th 05, 12:58 AM
culprit

"Tee" wrote in message

Pebbles, the Min. Dachshund, aims to kill her prey but she doesn't eat it.
She's a clean killer though. Her strike is always true and one strike is
all it ever takes. She's killed birds, snakes & a mole.

wow, she's a serious killer! my pit bulls are terrified of snakes!

-kelly

Old January 6th 05, 01:02 AM
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
How does a miniature Dachshund kill a bird?

I'm picturing a *very* short bird for starters...............

~~Judy

Old January 6th 05, 01:04 AM
Tee

Tee wrote:
Pebbles, the Min. Dachshund, aims to kill her prey but she doesn't eat it.
She's a clean killer though. Her strike is always true and one strike is
all it ever takes. She's killed birds, snakes & a mole.

How does a miniature Dachshund kill a bird?

Silly neighbor girl brings pet parakeet over to show Amie. Door isn't
latched, parakeet flies out, bird dies, little girl is heartbroken I'll
never forget the look on that little girl's face for as long as I live.
She's a snotty teenager now but still, I felt horrible and responsible and
completely helpless to make it up to her.

--
Tara

Old January 6th 05, 01:06 AM
Tee

Oh, she's also gotten a baby bird or two (guess they fell from their nest).

--
Tara