dog urinating on floor....

Old January 11th 05, 02:02 AM
cyan

Default dog urinating on floor....

Same spot every year....where the christmas tree sits. Is there a
product I can use on the floor to discourage this behavior? The floor
is ruined already....oak with the finish destroyed.

At this time I have the area baracaded off limits with furniture
placement.

Thanks,
cyan

Old January 11th 05, 07:16 AM
Rocky

cyan said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Is there a
product I can use on the floor to discourage this behavior?

It's difficult to discourage (I assume you mean some type of
adversive) a dog from its natural tendencies - in this case,
marking existing scents. Instead, clean the area thoroughly
with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

Right now, you're doing the right thing by restricting access to
the area because marking that particular spot may have become a
habit. You're going to have to supervise for a while after the
cleaning.

So, a 2 pronged approach: clean thoroughly and manage through
supervision. It might take some time.

Old January 11th 05, 06:13 PM
cyan

Rocky wrote:
cyan said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Is there a
product I can use on the floor to discourage this behavior?

It's difficult to discourage (I assume you mean some type of
adversive) a dog from its natural tendencies - in this case,
marking existing scents. Instead, clean the area thoroughly
with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

I have used baking soda for accidents in the past, but these have all
been on the carpet. And it works, as the scent is eliminated.
Unfortunately, I sprinkled baking soda on the wood floor after cleaning
the area, and the dog urinated on the baking soda.....yikes! The
urine/soda mix destroyed the floor!

Right now, you're doing the right thing by restricting access to
the area because marking that particular spot may have become a
habit. You're going to have to supervise for a while after the
cleaning.

The furniture arrangement in the living is less than desireable,
however the blockage seems to be working.

cyan

Old January 11th 05, 06:57 PM
Rocky

cyan said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I have used baking soda for accidents in the past, but
these have all been on the carpet. And it works, as the
scent is eliminated.

By *your* nose, the scent may be eliminated. Have you tried
enzyme-based cleaners like Nature's Miracle? Basically, the
cleaner is full of little buggies that eat the proteins in
urine, removing all traces.

Unfortunately, I sprinkled baking soda
on the wood floor after cleaning the area, and the dog
urinated on the baking soda.....yikes! The urine/soda mix
destroyed the floor!

As a kid, did you ever make a bottle rocket? The propellant is
baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda and dog pee would also
probably make satisfactory rocket fuel.

When my oldster was having "problems" in the house during her
later days, a liberal application of Nature's Miracle on carpet
(allowing it to dry on its own) or a spritzing on my hardwood
floors (if the accident occured there) resulted in no damage.

It's not cheap, but it works.

Old January 12th 05, 12:05 AM
Tiger Lily

Nature's Miracle removes the stain and the odor that WE can not detect on
the site that the dog is peeing on

you can buy it by the gallon...... wipe up the urine as best as you can,
rinse, then soak the area with Nature's Miracle and allow it to dry
thoroughly (ie.... leave it on the carpet/floor whatever)

we have hardwood floors...... and have seen no reaction to Nature's Miracle
on the hardwood floors

kate

"cyan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 14th 05, 04:07 AM
cyan

Tiger Lily wrote:
Nature's Miracle removes the stain and the odor that WE can not

detect on
the site that the dog is peeing on

you can buy it by the gallon...... wipe up the urine as best as you

can,
rinse, then soak the area with Nature's Miracle and allow it to dry
thoroughly (ie.... leave it on the carpet/floor whatever)

we have hardwood floors...... and have seen no reaction to Nature's

Miracle
on the hardwood floors

kate

Thanks mucho, all you guys.....Nature's miracle is on my shopping list
for the next dog food run.

cyan

"cyan" wrote in message
oups.com...