Dalmation?

Old January 14th 05, 02:59 PM

Default Dalmation?

I am considering fostering an older Dalmation. We live in an apartment.
I looked them up on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
and they seem to be an active breed. Then again, almost all the
descriptions say "daily brisk walk." Should I do it? It might
be better than risking being "put down."
~Q

Old January 14th 05, 06:02 PM
Robin Nuttall

Q wrote:

I am considering fostering an older Dalmation. We live in an apartment.

Gentle correction, it's DalmatiAn, not DalmatiOn. One of those little
things that tends to make people a bit twitchy.

I looked them up on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
and they seem to be an active breed. Then again, almost all the
descriptions say "daily brisk walk." Should I do it? It might
be better than risking being "put down."

How much time are you willing to devote to exercise for this dog? Sorry,
but "daily brisk walk" won't do it. These are dogs who were bred to run
beside coaches, without pause, for hours and miles. They have high
energy and extreme endurance. They would need a daily several-mile RUN.
They're also a dog that's not particularly good with children. That can
be made worse if the dog is partially or wholely deaf, another really
common problem in Dals.

I'd say that unless you are really dedicated to getting a lot of
exercise for this dog, it may not be the dog for you--sorry. If you are
wanting an apartment dog that's bigger, you might consider a rescue
racing greyhound. They need spurts of exercise, but otherwise are very
laid back and content to couch decorate.

Old January 14th 05, 11:53 PM
culprit

"Q" wrote in message
om...
I am considering fostering an older Dalmation. We live in an apartment.
I looked them up on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
and they seem to be an active breed. Then again, almost all the
descriptions say "daily brisk walk." Should I do it? It might
be better than risking being "put down."

they need more than a daily brisk walk. they need to run, and often. all
the Dals i see around here are fat, because their owners think that a "daily
brisk walk" and trip to the dog park is all it takes.

there are a LOT of Dals in rescue for a reason.

-kelly

Old January 15th 05, 02:01 AM
culprit

"Q" wrote in message
. com...

Greyhounds are plentiful, suitable for apartment life, but lack
personality
somehow.

um, have you ever *met* a greyhound?

-kelly

Old January 15th 05, 02:15 AM
Robin Nuttall

Q wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

I'd say that unless you are really dedicated to getting a lot of
exercise for this dog, it may not be the dog for you--sorry. If you are
wanting an apartment dog that's bigger, you might consider a rescue
racing greyhound. They need spurts of exercise, but otherwise are very
laid back and content to couch decorate.

Greyhounds are plentiful, suitable for apartment life, but lack personality
somehow.

Um, no they don't. They have lovely personalities.

Old January 15th 05, 03:44 PM

Q wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

I'd say that unless you are really dedicated to getting a lot of
exercise for this dog, it may not be the dog for you--sorry. If you are
wanting an apartment dog that's bigger, you might consider a rescue
racing greyhound. They need spurts of exercise, but otherwise are very
laid back and content to couch decorate.

Greyhounds are plentiful, suitable for apartment life, but lack

personality
somehow.

Um, no they don't. They have lovely personalities.

Sure, I've met a Greyhound. Even fostered one for a while. It was a WALKING
RUG.
But, I'm glad you appreciate this mistreated breed. Obviously you see
something
real that I do not.
~Q

Old January 15th 05, 05:32 PM
Robin Nuttall

Q wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Um, no they don't. They have lovely personalities.

Sure, I've met a Greyhound. Even fostered one for a while. It was a WALKING
RUG.
But, I'm glad you appreciate this mistreated breed. Obviously you see
something
real that I do not.

You're basing this stereotype on one single dog?

The greys I've met have tremendous personality but also tremendous
dignity. You must get close to them and appreciate their subtle and
graceful approach to life to understand them.

Old January 15th 05, 05:47 PM

Q wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Um, no they don't. They have lovely personalities.

Sure, I've met a Greyhound. Even fostered one for a while. It was a

WALKING
RUG.
But, I'm glad you appreciate this mistreated breed. Obviously you see
something
real that I do not.

You're basing this stereotype on one single dog?

The greys I've met have tremendous personality but also tremendous
dignity. You must get close to them and appreciate their subtle and
graceful approach to life to understand them.

They're just too stand off-ish for me.
But YES they do have their great points.
~Q

Old January 16th 05, 08:35 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Q" wrote in message
om...
: I am considering fostering an older Dalmation. We live in an apartment.
: I looked them up on http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm
: and they seem to be an active breed. Then again, almost all the
: descriptions say "daily brisk walk." Should I do it? It might
: be better than risking being "put down."
: ~Q

We used to run ours beside the car for miles. Really. He loved it. His
second best fun was 'crash tackle'. This is fun not aggression. The game is
played with any other dog, you run high speed circles in opposite
directions, when you meet the other dog going the other way .... well you
get the idea.

If 'daily brisk walk' is all you have time for then pass on the Dalmatian
unless it is elderly.

David